"fugitivus errans" "pathos of distance"

George Sherwood (steppen@lightspeed.net)
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:48:47 -0700 (PDT)

At 04:27 PM 6/2/97 -0300, you wrote:

>Since our real matter is a discussion on Nietzsche's topics I want to
introduce another one: the relation of N and the voyages. How to
understand that characterization of himself as the "fugitivus errans"?Or
that "pathos of distance"?
>If somebody can give me hints about this, I'll be very thankfull
> maruja@netup.cl
"A thinker who joins a party will think his way through the party" (from
memory, as are most of my quotes, so don't count on them too much). Why is
this? The thinker maintains a "pathos of distance" that prevents the blind
faith required in any party zealot. He cannot become so enamored that he
becomes lost in the herd. Its opposite might the the Witch Hunts with the
mass hysteria necessary to them. Mass hysteria = a stampeding herd. One who
maintains a pathos of distance cannot have his or her mind so captivated.
Just my take while I look forward to other ideas on the subject.

As to the "fugitivus errans," this one I don't recall. Would you site the
passage so I can read it in context?

George
A man's maturity--consists in having found again the seriousness one had as
a child, at play" ~ Nietzsche.

--- from list nietzsche@jefferson.village.virginia.edu ---