[sixties-l] Kerr Reacts to Past and Present FBI Involvement (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 12:03:52 EDT

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:39:22 -0700
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Kerr Reacts to Past and Present FBI Involvement

    Kerr Reacts to Past and Present FBI Involvement

      http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=8757

    Former UC Berkeley Student Makes Information Public

    By JENNIFER KLINE
    Daily Cal Staff Writer
    Tuesday, June 11, 2002

    Seth Rosenfeld began his 17-year odyssey to uncover the FBI's
    involvement in the firing of then UC President Clark Kerr as a
    reporter for The Daily Californian.

    "I did some stories when I was with The Daily Cal about some FBI
    files, and I realize there must be more there. So I submitted a
    much larger (Freedom of Information Act) request," Rosenfeld says.
    "I'm glad to be getting the information out to the public. I had
    no idea it would take this long."

    In the name of national security, the FBI unlawfully gathered
    information on Free Speech Movement members and UC faculty, and
    worked with elected officials to fire former UC President Clark
    Kerr, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Sunday.

    Rosenfeld became interested in the FBI presence at UC Berkeley
    during the Free Speech Movement when he was an undergraduate
    journalism student at UC Berkeley and a Daily Cal writer.

    Clark Kerr, who was UC president during the turbulent Free Speech
    Movement, was fired after then Gov. Ronald Reagan's election and
    campaign pledge to clean up "the mess at Berkeley." Kerr had come
    under fire for his handling of the Free Speech Movement because of
    his reluctance to use police force against students.

    In a telephone interview, Kerr said Reagan was motivated by
    politics.

    "I think there was nothing personal about it. (Reagan) was just
    trying to get elected and then got to be governor, and decided the
    first thing to do was to clean up the mess of Berkeley and to
    clean me up," Kerr says. "I never really had a chance to get to
    know him^×not that it would have helped."

    Although much has changed at UC Berkeley since the Free Speech
    Movement, the university currently faces a similar conundrum with
    heightened homeland security worries.

    "I know there are proposals to increase the authority of the FBI
    and^Ågiven this international terrorism, it's bound (to happen),"
    Kerr says. "The difficulties (I had) were really not that the FBI
    was following its rules in my particular case. They went outside
    the rules."

    Kerr brought up the Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals decision
    on June 12, 1995, which declared the FBI's behavior "unlawful"
    with regard to their continued investigation of Clark Kerr, the
    university and Free Speech Movement members.

    "Take a look at the Ninth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, a pretty
    strong decision by a federal court about the FBI when they acted
    with an illegitimate law enforcement purpose," Kerr says. "In
    American history, there can't be illegitimate law enforcement.
    That's a very, very severe condemnation."

    Kerr says that his difficulties with the FBI were mainly a
    reflection of their "unlawful" behavior, and he cautions against
    trampling the rights of people.

    "I think it's quite clear there are going to be some new rules and
    they may be quite tough," Kerr says. "But we have to be very
    careful that the rights of individual Americans aren't sacrificed
    in the course of it all."

    Rosenfeld discovered the story as a result of a senior project at
    the journalism school.

    "I did write some stories of the FBI on campus," Rosenfeld says.
    "That's how I first got interested in it, and then it became a
    class project at the journalism school. I was very curious about
    this history at Berkeley and wanted to know what the government
    was up to, so I filed this (Freedom of Information Act) request. I
    think it shed light on a turbulent historic period of time."

    The FBI documents required to write the articles took three
    lawsuits and went all the way to the Supreme Court.

    "The government spent nearly a million dollars in trying to
    improperly withhold public information," Rosenfeld says. "The
    FBI's position is it was trying to investigate possible federal
    crimes and to protect national security, and that's a proper job
    for the FBI."

    Kerr is often credited with bringing academic excellence to the UC
    system.

    Improving the academic standing of UC Berkeley, giving more power
    to chancellors, accommodating a tidal wave of students and
    creating lifetime tenure are just a few of the accomplishments
    that Kerr lists.

    Kerr was also involved in the expansion of several smaller UCs to
    accommodate the increasing amount of students that would triple in
    a span of 10 years.

    Rosenfeld's article reveals "a secret history, a secret part of
    California History."

    Kerr declined to comment on what the future may hold but says,
    "What the situation might be in the future depends on the
    leadership from here on out."