Re: [sixties-l] Panthers (fwd)

From: Jama Lazerow (jlazerow@wheelock.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 14:28:51 EDT

    In re David Berger's "bordom" at the "rantings of this right-winger who keeps forwarding his stuff about the Panthers to this bulletin board":

    Horowitz et al. demonize them, others romanticize them, and this guy is, it seems, just wants to forget them. Interestingly, his understanding of them fits perfectly with the right wingers he's bored by. That they were a media creation is precisely the dismissive conclusion of the now standard source on the Panthers used by American historians -- _The Shadow of the Panther_ by Hugh Pearson, an author heavily indebted to David Horowitz. Moreover, almost all the "facts" in this post are wrong. "In only a few places, e.g. Oakland, were [the Panthers] able to
    establish any kind of grass roots"? I wonder if Berger has read Yohuru Williams's _Black Power/White Politics_ on the New Haven Panthers. "Their connections were almost always with lumpen-proletariat elements rather than the working class"? I wonder if Berger has heard of the Boston Black Panthers, one of the strongest and long-lasting chapters in the country? As for COINTELPRO, the Panthers weren't even added to the list until 1968 (despite Berger claims about "undeniability").

    The problem here is that people have a lot of memories of the Panthers, and those memories serve a lot of (current) political agendas, but very few are interested in uncovering the history and looking at a complicated story (stories, really) in historical context.

    Jama Lazerow
    Wheelock College