Re: [sixties-l] The New Left Re-Examined

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 23:08:52 EST

    Knowing nothing about this unpublished new book, I would like to
    recommend, as the best book thus far on the Sixties, one that has had
    little attention in the usual sources because it does not set out to be
    academic, although contributed to largely by professors (Leon Litwack,
    Clayborne Carson, etc.]. Presented as a coffee-table picture book, it is
    titled THE WHOLE WORLD'S WATCHING: Peace and Social Justice Movements of
    the 1960s and 1970s, and was published last year by the Berkeley Art
    Center Association. The 23 essays are on, and virtually all by, the full
    spectrum of movements: anti-HUAC, civil rights, FSM, Vietnam War, peace,
    women's, lesbian and homosexual, Latino, Native American, disability,
    environmentalism. It is the thoughtfulness of the authors, plus the fact
    that all were either participants or contemporary observers of the
    events, that makes it so fine a contribution to historiography. The
    Berkeley Art Center Association is at 1275 Walnut St., Berkeley, CA,
    94709. <berkeleyartc@earthlink.net> . www.berkeleyartcenter.org. I have
    no idea as to whether examination copies are offered.
                                            William Mandel

    John C Mcmillian wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Along with Paul Buhle, I've co-edited a book called "The New Left
    > Re-Examined," which (fingers crossed) is coming out next fall from Temple
    > University Press. Briefly, this is a collection of revisionist
    > essays on the New Left, written by scholars who are too young to have had
    > any first-hand experience with the movement. They come from a variety of
    > perspectives, but most of them dissent, in some fashion, from the current
    > orthodoxy of historical writing on the New Left. The Table of Contents is
    > listed below.
    >
    > Anyhow, I'm writing this listserve because Temple wants the names and
    > addresses of of professors who teach courses on the Sixites, or on American
    > Radicalism, who might be interested in assigning such a book - presumably to
    > send them examination copies. So if anyone fits this description, please feel
    > free to send me a private email and I'll put you on the list!
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > John

    My autobiography, SAYING NO TO POWER (Creative Arts, Berkeley, 1999),
    was written for the general reader. However, if you teach in the social
    sciences consider it for student reading. It is a history of how the
    American
    people fought to defend and expand its rights in my lifetime, employing
    the form of the life story of one who was involved in most serious
    movements: labor, student, peace with the USSR, civil rights South and
    North, civil
    liberties (I seriously damaged the Senate Internal Security Committee,
    the McCarthy Committee, and the House Un-American Activities Committee
    with spectacular testimonies that may be heard/seen on my website,
    http://www.billmandel.net ), the RADIO OF DISSENT (37 YEARS ON
    PACIFICA),
    with very extensive information on its history) and the feminist
    movement,
    although I am male. The book contains some fifty pages on my late wife,
    Tanya, appearing appropriately throughout the book. They may be found in
    the index under Mandel, Tanya. My activities began in 1927. I am 84. The
    book
    is available through all normal sources. If you want an autographed
    copy,
    send me $23 at 4466 View Pl., Apt. 106, Oakland, CA. 94611