[sixties-l] New Trial for Hippie Guru Einhorn (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 18:14:47 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:54:52 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: New Trial for Hippie Guru Einhorn

    New Trial for Hippie Guru Einhorn

    <http://news.findlaw.com/ap/o/1110/11-15-2001/200111151005868785.html>

    Thursday, Nov. 15, 2001
    By JOANN LOVIGLIO Associated Press Writer

    PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Holding up the United States' end of a bargain with
    France, a judge granted a new trial Wednesday for former hippie guru Ira
    Einhorn, the one-time fugitive convicted in absentia of murdering his
    girlfriend.
    Einhorn, 61, was extradited to the United States from France last summer
    only after the state of Pennsylvania passed a law allowing him a retrial if
    he asked for one.
    The former Philadelphian, who has said he was framed for the 1977 murder by
    the CIA after he uncovered secret mind-control weapon experiments, was not
    in court for the hearing before Judge D. Webster Keough.
    Joel Rosen, the lead prosecutor in 1993 who will serve the same role for
    Einhorn's retrial, said he was gratified that "we're a step closer to where
    we want to be."
    Einhorn's longtime attorney, Norris Gelman, said he will no longer
    represent Einhorn because of his caseload and because Einhorn is broke.
    "He can't afford me. I don't think he can afford anybody," Gelman said,
    citing a $907 million wrongful-death judgment against him from his
    girlfriend's family.
    Einhorn, 61, jumped bail and fled the United States in 1981, shortly before
    his trial was set to begin. He was convicted and sentenced to life in
    prison for the murder of Holly Maddux, 30. Her mummified remains were found
    stuffed in a steamer trunk in the couple's Philadelphia apartment 18 months
    after Einhorn said she went to the store and never returned.
    Einhorn was captured in 1997 at a converted windmill in the south of France
    where he lived with his Swedish-born wife. He had lived in England, Ireland
    and Sweden under assumed names before his capture.
    In 1998, Pennsylvania passed a law allowing a retrial upon his request. The
    unprecedented move was made to satisfy the French government, which refuses
    to extradite foreigners based on trials in absentia.
    Einhorn vigorously fought his extradition in European courts before finally
    being returned in July, ending two decades of flight for the former
    anti-war activist, one-time mayoral candidate and self-described "planetary
    enzyme."
    "We're ready and eager for a new trial. We've been ready for 41/2 years for
    this, and actually much longer than that," Maddux's sister Buffy Hall
    said. "And when it's over, I intend to never think of Ira Einhorn again,
    except when they notify me when he's died in jail."
    Michael Chitwood, the detective who discovered Maddux's remains and is now
    police chief in Portland, Maine, said: "If I have to hitchhike or walk
    back, I'll get back to testify."
    Einhorn's attorneys had disputed the constitutionality of the state law
    that allowed him to seek a new trial. However, the judge cited "a strong
    presumption that acts passed by the Legislature are constitutional."
    U.S. officials also had to assure French authorities that Einhorn would not
    be eligible for the death penalty at his new trial because there was no
    capital punishment in Pennsylvania when Maddux was killed.
    Einhorn is in prison in Pennsylvania.
    In France, Annika Flodin-Einhorn said she was sure her husband would be
    found innocent. "I am both happy and content that he has been given a new
    trial," she said.