[sixties-l] Antiwar News...(# 29) (fwd)

From: sixties@lists.village.virginia.edu
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 01:02:50 EST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:16:22 -0800
    From: radtimes <resist@best.com>
    Subject: Antiwar News...(# 29)

    Antiwar News...(# 29)
    Contents:

    --The war against terrorism is a fraud
    --Air strikes on Kabul 'kill 13 civilians'
    --"A Walk for Healing and Peace"
    --Peace protesters surround MoD
    --Misdirected air strikes kill more civilians in capital
    --The Sick Logic of War
    --Thousands march in anti-war protests
    --U.S. Shifts Gears After a Week of Setbacks
    --U.S. Bombers Kill Kabul Family
    --U.S. Bombers Kill Kabul Family, Bus of Refugees
    --The USA and International Terrorism
    --New book by Chomsky on 9-11
    --DO THE UNEXPECTED
    --Getting Ready for Winter

    Also of interest (links only):
             *What health problems do Afghan refugees face?
             *WOMEN AND THE FUTURE OF AFGHANISTAN
             *Online index documents censorship, free speech incidents
             *Afghanistan news links (comprehensive)
             *HIGHTOWER: WAVE OUR FLAG!
    (Anti-war links/resources at the end.)

    The war against terrorism is a fraud

    http://mirror.icnetwork.co.uk/news/allnews/page.cfm?objectid=11392430&method=full

    The Mirror (London) October 28
    By John Pilger Former Mirror Chief Foreign Correspondent

    THE war against terrorism is a fraud. After three weeks' bombing, not a
    single terrorist implicated in the attacks on America has been caught or
    killed in Afghanistan.

    Instead, one of the poorest, most stricken nations has been terrorised by
    the most powerful - to the point where American pilots have run out of
    dubious "military" targets and are now destroying mud houses, a hospital,
    Red Cross warehouses, lorries carrying refugees.

    Unlike the relentless pictures from New York, we are seeing almost
    nothing of this. Tony Blair has yet to tell us what the violent death of
    children - seven in one family - has to do with Osama bin Laden.

    And why are cluster bombs being used? The British public should know
    about these bombs, which the RAF also uses. They spray hundreds of
    bomblets that have only one purpose; to kill and maim people. Those that
    do not explode lie on the ground like landmines, waiting for people to
    step on them.

    If ever a weapon was designed specifically for acts of terrorism, this is
    it. I have seen the victims of American cluster weapons in other
    countries, such as the Laotian toddler who picked one up and had her
    right leg and face blown off. Be assured this is now happening in
    Afghanistan, in your name.

    None of those directly involved in the September 11 atrocity was Afghani.
      Most were Saudis, who apparently did their planning and training in
    Germany and the United States. The camps which the Taliban allowed bin
    Laden to use were emptied weeks ago. Moreover, the Taliban itself is a
    creation of the Americans and the British. In the 1980s, the tribal army
    that produced them was funded by the CIA and trained by the SAS to fight
    the Russians.

    The hypocrisy does not stop there. When the Taliban took Kabul in 1996,
    Washington said nothing. Why? Because Taliban leaders were soon on their
    way to Houston, Texas, to be entertained by executives of the oil
    company, Unocal.
    WITH secret US government approval, the company offered them a generous
    cut of the profits of the oil and gas pumped through a pipeline that the
    Americans wanted to build from Soviet central Asia through Afghanistan.

    A US diplomat said: "The Taliban will probably develop like the Saudis
    did." He explained that Afghanistan would become an American oil colony,
    there would be huge profits for the West, no democracy and the legal
    persecution of women. "We can live with that," he said.

    Although the deal fell through, it remains an urgent priority of the
    administration of George W. Bush, which is steeped in the oil industry.
    Bush's concealed agenda is to exploit the oil and gas reserves in the
    Caspian basin, the greatest source of untapped fossil fuel on earth and
    enough, according to one estimate, to meet America's voracious energy
    needs for a generation. Only if the pipeline runs through Afghanistan can
    the Americans hope to control it.

    So, not surprisingly, US Secretary of State Colin Powell is now referring
    to "moderate" Taliban, who will join an American-sponsored "loose
    federation" to run Afghanistan. The "war on terrorism" is a cover for
    this: a means of achieving American strategic aims that lie behind the
    flag-waving facade of great power.

    The Royal Marines, who will do the real dirty work, will be little more
    than mercenaries for Washington's imperial ambitions, not to mention the
    extraordinary pretensions of Blair himself. Having made Britain a target
    for terrorism with his bellicose "shoulder to shoulder" with Bush
    nonsense, he is now prepared to send troops to a battlefield where the
    goals are so uncertain that even the Chief of the Defence Staff says the
    conflict "could last 50 years". The irresponsibility of this is
    breathtaking; the pressure on Pakistan alone could ignite an
    unprecedented crisis across the Indian sub-continent. Having reported
    many wars, I am always struck by the absurdity of effete politicians
    eager to wave farewell to young soldiers, but who themselves would not
    say boo to a Taliban goose.

    In the days of gunboats, our imperial leaders covered their violence in
    the "morality" of their actions. Blair is no different. Like them, his
    selective moralising omits the most basic truth. Nothing justified the
    killing of innocent people in America on September 11, and nothing
    justifies the killing of innocent people anywhere else.

    By killing innocents in Afghanistan, Blair and Bush stoop to the level of
    the criminal outrage in New York. Once you cluster bomb, "mistakes" and
    "blunders" are a pretence. Murder is murder, regardless of whether you
    crash a plane into a building or order and collude with it from the Oval
    Office and Downing Street.

    If Blair was really opposed to all forms of terrorism, he would get
    Britain out of the arms trade. On the day of the twin towers attack, an
    "arms fair", selling weapons of terror (like cluster bombs and missiles)
    to assorted tyrants and human rights abusers, opened in London's
    Docklands with the full backing of the Blair government. Britain's
    biggest arms customer is the medieval Saudi regime, which beheads
    heretics and spawned the religious fanaticism of the Taliban.

    If he really wanted to demonstrate "the moral fibre of Britain", Blair
    would do everything in his power to lift the threat of violence in those
    parts of the world where there is great and justifiable grievance and
    anger. He would do more than make gestures; he would demand that Israel
    ends its illegal occupation of Palestine and withdraw to its borders
    prior to the 1967 war, as ordered by the Security Council, of which
    Britain is a permanent member.

    HE would call for an end to the genocidal blockade which the UN - in
    reality, America and Britain - has imposed on the suffering people of
    Iraq for more than a decade, causing the deaths of half a million
    children under the age of five.

    That's more deaths of infants every month than the number killed in the
    World Trade Center.
    There are signs that Washington is about to extend its current "war" to
    Iraq; yet unknown to most of us, almost every day RAF and American
    aircraft already bomb Iraq. There are no headlines. There is nothing on
    the TV news. This terror is the longest-running Anglo-American bombing
    campaign since World War Two.

    The Wall Street Journal reported that the US and Britain faced a
    "dilemma" in Iraq, because "few targets remain". "We're down to the last
    outhouse," said a US official. That was two years ago, and they're still
    bombing. The cost to the British taxpayer? 800million so far.

    According to an internal UN report, covering a five-month period, 41 per
    cent of the casualties are civilians. In northern Iraq, I met a woman
    whose husband and four children were among the deaths listed in the
    report. He was a shepherd, who was tending his sheep with his elderly
    father and his children when two planes attacked them, each making a
    sweep. It was an open valley; there were no military targets nearby.

    "I want to see the pilot who did this," said the widow at the graveside
    of her entire family. For them, there was no service in St Paul's
    Cathedral with the Queen in attendance; no rock concert with Paul
    McCartney.
    THE tragedy of the Iraqis, and the Palestinians, and the Afghanis is a
    truth that is the very opposite of their caricatures in much of the
    Western media.

    Far from being the terrorists of the world, the overwhelming majority of
    the Islamic peoples of the Middle East and south Asia have been its
    victims - victims largely of the West's exploitation of precious natural
    resources in or near their countries.

    There is no war on terrorism. If there was, the Royal Marines and the SAS
    would be storming the beaches of Florida, where more CIA-funded
    terrorists, ex-Latin American dictators and torturers, are given refuge
    than anywhere on earth.
    There is, however, a continuing war of the powerful against the
    powerless, with new excuses, new hidden agendas, new lies. Before another
    child dies violently, or quietly from starvation, before new fanatics are
    created in both the east and the west, it is time for the people of
    Britain to make their voices heard and to stop this fraudulent war - and
    to demand the kind of bold, imaginative non-violent initiatives that
    require real political courage.

    The other day, the parents of Greg Rodriguez, a young man who died in the
    World Trade Center, said this: "We read enough of the news to sense that
    our government is heading in the direction of violent revenge, with the
    prospect of sons, daughters, parents, friends in distant lands dying,
    suffering, and nursing further grievances against us.
    "It is not the way to go...not in our son's name."

    Air strikes on Kabul 'kill 13 civilians'

    Staff and agencies
    Sunday October 28, 2001
    The Observer

    US warplanes today hit a residential area in the Afghan capital Kabul
    killing at least 13 civilians and virtually wiping out
    one family, according to local reports.

    Seven children and their father are reported to have been killed in the
    attacks, which occurred early this morning. The
    eight victims were having breakfast together when a bomb hit their home,
    which is near the site of a Taliban anti-aircraft
    gun.

    Eyewitnesses said three houses were hit when US jets roared over Kabul,
    apparently aiming at military targets on the
    northern and eastern edge of the city.

    American warplanes also attacked targets in the northern city of
    Mazar-i-Sharif, the Taliban stronghold of Kandahar in
    the south, Herat in the west and Jalalabad in the east, according to local
    press reports.

    Today's strikes came just a day after stray bombs hit three villages in
    northern Afghanistan in what witnesses called the
    heaviest attacks on Taliban front lines in the area.

    A total of eight or nine civilians were killed in the villages, most of
    them in alliance-held communities, according to
    witnesses. A further 10 were injured.

    In Washington, Pentagon spokesmen have made no comment on the latest
    civilian casualties although the US
    government has repeatedly stressed that civilians are never deliberately
    targeted.

    But the tide of civilian casualties in Afghanistan has been testing local
    support for the air strikes and has galvanised
    support for the Taliban in nearby Pakistan.

    Pakistani guards have halted a convoy of around armed tribesmen attempting
    to cross the border into Afghanistan to
    help the Taliban.

    Around 4,500 Pakistani tribesmen set out in buses and trucks yesterday,
    carrying Kalashnikov rifles and rocket
    launchers.

    The group is led by the Islamist party head Sufi Mohammad, who has called
    for jihad, or a holy war, against the US.

    "A Walk for Healing and Peace"