Re: [sixties-l] Tin soldiers

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 22:19:22 EDT

    War records aren't the only fabrications or exaggerations that people
    engage in to enhance their popularity or their pocketbook. The Nazi
    Holocaust against the Jews has produced some like a Swiss writer who
    wrote a convincing best seller about his experiences before being
    exposed.

    Congressman Tom Lantos, who has been in Durban this past week and in
    Geneva before that, lobbying against any condemnation being made of
    Israel's racist policies at the South African anti-racism conference,
    advertises himself as the "only Holocaust survivor in Congress" which
    would lead one think that he had been in a concentration camp. But
    Lantos, who was a child in Budapest during the war was one of the lucky
    ones and was hidden out while 750,000 Hungarian Jews went off to
    Auchswitz. One might say that made him a "Holocaust survivor" as well,
    but only in the most general sense since a life hidden out was very
    different from one in the death camps.

    Lantos is no stranger to fabrication having been responsible for hosting
    a hearing of his Congressional Human Rights Caucus during the build-up
    to the Gulf War at a time when much of Congress was hesitant to initiate
    the bombing campaign.

    At his hearing, Lantos, with the creative talents of the Hill and
    Knowlton public relations agency, produced a "nurse" from Kuwait who
    told the shocked House members how she had watched Iraqi soldiers come
    into her hospital and throw scores of Kuwaiti babies out of incubators
    so they could take the incubators back to Iraq.

    The story, later exposed by Harper's publisher John MacArthur, was a
    complete hoax, but it was enough to move Congress to approve the
    bombing. The "nurse" was the daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador, she
    hadn't been to the hospital, and there hadn't been anywhere near the
    number of incubators she described in the entire country. When Kuwaiti
    doctors were asked about it, they didn't know what the questioner as
    talking about. Yet this pathological liar, who has a free office for his
    Freedom Foundation provided by the same Hill and Knowlton, is revered
    and respected inside and outside of Congress because of his "Holocaust"
    background.

    Using that background, he has been the point man in maintaining the
    sanctions, justifying the deaths of Iraqi children by saying children
    were also victims of the bombing of Germany by Roosevelt and Churchill
    in WW2. He also has been among the House members leading the effort to
    apply sanctions against the Palestinians.

    The most famous Holocaust survivor of them all, the man who has made a
    comfortable living from his experience, is Eli Weisel, and he is a
    different kind of liar.

    Yes, Weisel, was in Auchswitz, but what happened after that is not quite
    how he describes it. When Weisel came out of the camp, he went to Israel
    and became an Israeli citizen, learned Hebrew, and became a journalist
    for the newspaper of Betar, the journal of Menachem Begin's ultra
    right-wing youth group. At some point he had a bright idea. He would go
    to the United States and pretend he was stateless, and so he did, and
    eventually became a citizen, writing a number of books about his
    war-time experiences.

    Whether these were true or not is not the issue. In Israel, he is
    generally viewed with contempt, from the right because he chose to hide
    his Israeli citizenship, and by the left because of his role as an
    unmitigated apologist for Israel's barbaric behavior towards both the
    Palestinians and the Lebanese. One writer even wrote a humorous piece
    about how "the doors of Auchswitz open and Weisel goes directly to the
    Nobel Prize," another, a satire about him opening Holocaust boutiques.

    Weisel's excuse? Not being an Israeli, he says, I have no right to
    criticize, but he certainly even now has been playing a major role in
    drumming up support in America and in Congress for Israel's heavy-handed
    response to the Palestinian intifada.

    Compared to the actions of both Lantos and Weisel, these Americans who
    have made up their Vietnam war records appear to mostly pathetic. What
    they are not complicit, like Lantos and Weisel, in crimes against humanity.

    On September 9th, Lantos is being honored by the West Coast Chapter of
    Israel's Jewish National Fund, the agency responsible for taking
    Palestinian land out of Arab hands and keeping it that way, and there
    will be a protest against him and the JNF.

    Jeff Blankfort