Re: [sixties-l] Virus concern put to rest

From: John Johnson (change@pacbell.net)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 16:30:28 EST

    I opened it and no problem with your file.

    The problem is that there are a number of email viruses going around, the
    largest one is the Snow White virus. What they do is modify ones
    winsock.dll file or Outlook and will unknown to the sender, send out a
    separate email with the virus attachment. One gets it by opening the
    attachment.
    So one has to look at the headers of the virus message and compare that
    with recently send messages and try to find a match. The virus message
    should have the same ISP as the person who accidentally sent it.

    At 09:36 PM 2/8/2001, you wrote:
    >After examining the actual transmitted attachment [Pagni re: sex rev
    >afterthoughts], the Virus-Busters issued this report:
    >
    >It's not infected with W32/Hybris... McAfee VirusScan with the 4120
    >DAT files installed (scan engine 4.1.20) find nothing objectionable in
    >the document. (No, it doesn't evaluate literary content ;)
    >
    >I suspect that the programs scanning inbound e-mail may have a bug,
    >perhaps due to the way Hybris creates it's headers, and are attributing
    >the infected message to the sender of the one received before or after the
    >actual infected message.
    >
    >*****
    >If in caution you dumped the message and would like a new copy, please
    >contact me directly at <<pagni@umich.edu>>. I sincerely regret the mailbox
    >clutter.
    >
    >--Charlotte

    John Johnson