Re: [sixties-l] Whose Left? (waiting for the Depression_

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 11:12:18 EST

    We on the left have been predicting imminent depression for years. Every
    economic downtown and we nod our heads in expectation, each nod reinforcing our own delusion. William is right in one regard though. To the degree that the free marketeers have their way and undo the regulatory protections of the New Deal, the greater the possibility of a multi-faceted economic disaster. But don't count on it.

    In the 20's and early 30's, the establishment was an inbred WASP
    aristocrisy, clueless and arrogant. Today's establishment is more a meritocracy (smart and ambitious people from all backgrounds) and they respond fast to changes in the economy. Faster than most of us on the left who, like generals, are always refighting the last war. Of course, there is the possibility that greed, ambition, and ideological (free market) zealotry might blind them to reality (as the dot.com bubble did) and lead to economic problems that they haven't anticipated. But it's not in the cards,as I see it. Corporate moguls (as opposed to right-wing think tank Ayn Rand fanatics) are a pragmatic bunch and quite ready to do whatever it takes to stay in business.

    And, hey folks, this bit of unorthodoxy is not an endorsement of
    capitalism. Maintaining macro prosperity means causing micro dislocations
    and much human suffering. Capitalism is a great engine of wealth-creation
    but there's nothing about it that's fair or ethical. Communities are
    constantly destroyed in order to keep it functioning. But on its own terms,it functions! The left is often so caught up in wishful thinking and dated ideology that it loses perspective as to what is really happening.

    Cheers,

    Marty Jezer

    Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words
    Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel
    Rachel Carson: Author, Biologist
    The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960
    Visit my web site http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Subscribe to my Friday commentary (by reply e-mail). It's free!