Re: [sixties-l] Fwd: HEROES of the VIETNAM Generation

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/16/97

    Never mind former Navy Secretary Webbs' gross use of the fact that 1,400,000
    anti-American Vietnamese died defending their country, while only 58,000 Americans
    died, to demonstrate the tactical superiority of the U.S. armed forces. The
    superiority was in technology: a limitless supply of bombers to drop explosives,
    fire-bombs, and everything else.
         He musters endless statistics to suggest that "average Americans" supported
    the war. Really?
        "...the eleven-week trial of my son Bob and the other Oakland Seven defendants
    who had organized the week-long roving demonstrations of some ten thousand people
    that sought to shut down the [Oakland, CA] Army Induction Center....The defendants,
    their friends, associates, and families, including myself, were convinced that the
    Seven would be convicted....
        "When the jury was selected, I thought the defendants were finished. There was
    a retired U.S. Marines colonel, who at one time had been second-in-command of the
    Corps. In his time the Marines were very sparing with the rank of general. The jury
    foreperson was a young man with top security clearance at Lawrence Livermore
    Laboratory, where nuclear bombs are designed and laboratory-tested. But [defense
    attorney Charles] Garry called a stunning array of character witnesses to present
    the defendants' motivations. Garry actually convinced that jury that assembling
    massive crowds to block access to the induction centr was a legitimate exercise of
    freedom of speech under the First Amendment! Hatred for that war certainly ran
    deep."
        -- from my autobiography, Saying No To Power, p.416.
                                                    William Mandel