Re: [sixties-l] Critique of Bruce Franklin >

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 11/06/00

    Michael Wright wrote:

    >  The phrase "racial profiling" is both emotionally-
    >  charged and inflammatory.  I don't know exactly
    >  what Mandel means by his attributing to me a
    >  "position" on "racial profiling."  I have never
    >  used the phrase in this dialogue.

    Excuse me! There are a number of words that are emotionally-charged and
    SHOULD BE, such as massacre, genocide, lynching, etc. Are you arguing
    that "racial profiling" does not exist, and what other way would you
    describe a process of negative selection, i.e, discrimination, based on
    the color of one's skin?

    >  My statement which inspired objections from Mandel
    >  was that in this country repression against dissent
    >  has been color-blind.  In opening  his attack,
    >  Mandel, for his convenience, rephrased my statement
    >  by deleting the part about DISSENT.  Later I was
    >  accused of "white chauvinism."  Now I am told
    >  that I have a "position" on "racial profiling."

    You obviously do have a position and it's stated above.

    >  SNIP
    >
    >  To pretend that whites who seriously oppose the
    >  system enjoy some special protection based upon
    >  race is, I believe, a grave error and arises not
    >  from careful analysis but from knee-jerk, shallow
    >  political correctness.

    I don't think Mandel or I meant to leave the impression that white
    activists were immune from attacks and certainly the earlier labor
    struggles of the century proved that.  But given that history, one
    didn't see white workers hanging from Southern trees. Their fruit was
    only one color. You are desperate, for your own personal reasons, to
    establish some equality of victimhood between whites and blacks in the
    US.  The question for me is why?

    Jeff Blankfort