(no subject)

From: Chuck Zlatkin (zlatkinc@prodigy.net)
Date: 10/30/00

    Doesn't the whole thing come down to where you live?
    I live in New York. Right now Gore holds a lead
    between 13 and 15 1/2 per cent depending upon
    which poll you read. My decision is an easy one.
    I can have my cake (voting for Nader)
    and Gore will still win my state.

    The question is really for those of you who live
    in the "battleground" states. I agree that a progressive
    movement to suceed may have to make alliances with
    Democrats. But I ask on what terms? Power respects power.
    The Democratic Leadership Council types take
    the left for granted. Remember, when you are taken
    for granted for are taken.

    The questions still comes down to whether you would
    rather vote for what you want and not get it, than
    vote for what you don't want and get it.

    I suggest that the left in the 60s was naive, not in
    assessing its power but in knowing what to do with
    the power it did possess.

    How far to the right would Gore be if Nader was not
    in the race? Four years ago many where critical
    of Nader because he didn't run a "real" race for the
    Presidency. Now some of those same people are
    critical of Nader because he won't drop out.

    I have even heard people be critical of Nader
    because they suggest that if he were to win he couldn't
    govern because he has no party support. I guess those
    are the same people who complain about having to
    wear seatbelts.

    It is truly amazing to me that people
    who once believed that a revolution was possible in
    this country, now accept the continuing
    privatization of our remaining freedoms by the
    corporate state.

    The Nader campaign is far from perfect. I wish
    he had made a stronger case against police brutality
    and racial profiling, but that doesn't lessen the
    importance of what he is doing.

    Young people want to vote for him.
    People who haven't voted in years
    want to vote for him. Doesn't it seem a bit
    absurd that leftist intellectuals and
    survivors of the 60s are agonizing over whether
    to vote for Ralph Nader or Al Gore?

    Chuck

    Todd Jones