[sixties-l] RE: Vietnam retrospective

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 10/28/00

    Paul Lauter wrote:

    While I agree with most of the points raised by Lauter, particularly
    with regard to the real reasons behind the country's swing to the right
    in the post-Vietnam years, there are two that I do have problems with.
    The 1968 protest in Chicago was primarily a protest against the war in
    Vietnam.  Not only do I have my memories of that week but also
    photographs to prove it.  I don't recall a single poster or placard that
    didn't have some connection to the war.

    Secondly, I see no analogy between this election and that of 1968.
    Outside of his support of the war, Humphrey's domestic policies were far
    to the left of Gore, from labor to welfare. The one-party two head
    system has moved so far to the right that by 1968 standards, Gore, not
    the Nader-threatened stump speaker, but the career politician, would
    have been a Republican. The Clinton-Gore Administration, with Prince
    Albert playing a key role, has effectively implemented much of the
    Republican agenda in terms of welfare reform, has left our health care
    system a wreck, has done more to erode our civil liberties than any
    previous administration, and, in the words of David Brower, done more
    harm to the environment than the Reagan, Bush administrations combined.
    It has also, with Gore and Lieberman playing key roles, been responsible
    for maintaining the sanctions against Iraq which have prevented the
    importation of needed medicines and life-saving equipment which are
    directly responsible for the deaths of more than a million and a half
    Iraqis. most of them

    One thing that the movement in  1968 recognized and acted upon was that
    fundamentally there is no difference between the two political parties
    and they acted upon it. If there was a gap in 68, there is even less so
    today. Now we are back to the lesser evil which got me out on the
    streets in 64 working for LBJ because Goldwater frightened me. We see
    where that got us. The political movement today, as I see it, is divided
    between those who have essentially given up and continue to buy into the
    lesser evil concept and those, who are supporting Nader and the Greens,
    who say the time to start the change is now. There was no such
    alternative in 1968, with all due respect to Clean Gene. While it might
    have been overly optimistic, I like the statement of Poet and Spoken
    Word performer Michael Franti who said, "If we started building a third
    party in 1980, we would be contending for power today."

    Jeff Blankfort

    SNIP