Re:[sixties-l] Fwd: BLACK AUGUST 2000: A Story of Afr

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 20:30:54 CUT

    Former East Coast Black Panther and now San Francisco resident Kiilu
    Nyasha has done more than anyone I am aware of, to keep the memory of
    George Jackson and his assassination in August 1971, alive. She has also
    been the leading fighter for the freedom of Ruchell McGee, one of the
    many black political prisoners who have fallen through the movement's
    memory holes.

    Each year, before she was kicked off the air in the mass purge of,
    ironically, August, 1995, at KPFA, Kiilu did a memorial program on Black
    August and continued doing so for Free Radio Berkeley. She has also been
    the most important "independent" activist working on the case of Mumia
    Abu-Jamal, all this while confined to a wheelchair due to a debilitating
    muscular skeletal disease. Her next project will be this year's
    celebration of Black August at the Alice Arts Center in Oakland on
    August 18, and Kathleen Cleaver will be flying out from the East Coast
    to speak.

    Jeff Blankfort