Re: Query: Re: [sixties-l] Blankfort interviews SLA member

From: Ron Jacobs (rjacobs@zoo.uvm.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 14:35:23 CUT

    The Panthers did a relatively involved investigation of the SLA's police
    ties and came to the conclusion that Cinque (aka Donald DeFreeze) had
    worked for the police prior to his leadership of the SLA--with Donald
    Tackwood of the Criminal Investigative Division of the LAPD and CHP (I
    think) and had been approached by elements of the federal government as
    well. Their apparent interest was for him to involve himself in a prisoner
    support group that was populated mostly with radicals that eventually
    became the core of the SLA. His involvement was to be a combination of
    spying and provocateurism. His SLA involvement began after he was
    unexplainedly (according to California Prison standard operating procedure)
    transferred from a high security lockup (Soledad?) to Vacaville where he
    "escaped" and made his way to the Bay Area.
    -ron jacobs