Re: [sixties-l] Takin' It to the Streets

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 21:55:58 CUT

    The problem with the general histories and recollections of the Sixties
    that get into print is that not that they are US-Centric, but that with
    the exceptions of the more notable events of the Civil Rights Movement,
    a recognition of the Panthers, and Malcolm, they tend to ignore, like
    the mainstream media, significant events that took place in America;s
    black communities. Two examples come immediately to mind. First, in
    Berkeley, there is the well-publicized record of the Reagan calling out
    the National Guard during the struggle over People's Park which vets of
    the movement still talk about. There is nary a mention, however, of Gov.
    Pat Brown, Jerry's father, sending the National Guard to occupy the
    black ghettos of Hunters Point and the Fillmore in 1966, following a
    shootout with the SFPD in the former.

    Another untold story is what happened in Wilmington, Delaware, following
    the murder of MLK Jr. The governor called out the national guard to
    quell the city's angry black citizenry and, at least eight years, later,
    I remember reading a small item noting that they were still there. When
    did they leave? I don't know and the story was ignored by the
    alternative media as it was by the mainstream. Delaware is like a
    country almost unto itself, controlled by DuPont with its puppet,
    Liberal Warmonger Biden, on a string. There seems to be some control
    over stories that come out of there, but the military occupation of a US
    city for that period of time should have been something East Coast
    movement members paid attention to.

    Jeff Blankfort