Re: [sixties-l] Takin' It to the Streets

From: Jay Moore (research@neravt.com)
Date: Mon Jul 03 2000 - 10:42:43 CUT

    Dear Alex,

    Ron Jacobs and I have using your and Wini Breines's book as the core text
    for our popular Sixties course at the University of Vermont. It's a damn
    good book for the U.S. movements (and which even mentions the evil goings on
    with the "Vietnam Project" at my old alma mater, Michigan State). I don't
    have any suggestions for adding or subtracting texts from what you've got.
    We'll almost certainly use your book again at least one more time. I guess,
    however, what I am looking for at this point, in thinking through the
    experiences with the class, is another book altogether. I also teach World
    History, and I'm getting very dissatisfied with teaching the Sixties course
    in a U.S.-centric kind of format, when, as we all know, what happened in the
    Sixties was a truly Global Revolution with many things ricocheting off other
    things all over the place in space and time. Unfortunately, the student
    doesn't get that sense from your book much at all. Maybe, the Listees all
    need to collaborate on what might be the essential pieces for a truly
    global compendium of primary sources on the Sixties. Just about every
    Sixties book I know, with perhaps one or two exceptions like Tariq Ali's
    book on 1968, is the same way.

    best,
    jay moore
    http://www.neravt.com/left/