Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding >

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 22:41:24 CUT

    Jeff: What about the women who fight like hell to be fighter
    pilots, command bombers and the like? Are they freaks? Sure, most
    women don't want that, but neither do most men. To me, the
    overall factor is that wars, until very recently, did depend upon
    certain physical capacities that men possess much more than
    women, the same capacities that enabled men to dominate women in
    domestic and other civilian life, and have certainly left
    permanent marks upon the psychology of both genders. Also until
    very recently, women in the very years they might have been
    soldiers were apt to be pregnant or nursing young children. This,
    too, affected the psychology of both genders. And unquestionably
    the gender that was most concerned with preserving life would be
    most bothered by an activity that ended it.
                                            Bill Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net