Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 17:54:10 CUT

    I agree about the "being fully American" component of the
    motivation of some, perhaps many. But for the bulk it is a more
    secure livelihood, with a better pension and better opportunities
    for education, housing loans, and whatever, later on. I'm afraid
    one cannot escape the reality of the similarity to the poor Irish
    who were the backbone of the soldiery maintaining for England
    "the Empire on which the sun never sets" for a century and a
    half. Or the Iranian soldiers who, in Sandra Flowers own
    lifetime, kept the shah in power until the sentiment of their own
    people against him caused them to change sides. When here, in my
    Oakland, California, Mayor Jerry Brown (ex-governor,
    ex-presidential candidate, not at all ex-demagogue)fought
    unsuccessfuly (thus far: he's still trying) for a military public
    high school to give "opportunities" to ghetto kids, it was that
    kind of use of them that was/is his objective.
                                            William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net