Re: [sixties-l] War and male bonding

From: Sandra Hollin Flowers (flowers_s@mercer.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 02:49:59 CUT

    On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Jerry West wrote:
    [snip]

    > . . .I would like to point out that although war may be
    > dominated by men historically, women have also played a role and in some
    > societies like with the NLF were active combatants.

    Clearly, Jerry's right about this. I would agree, too, that shared
    combat would be as strong a bonding agent among women as it is among
    men and that conceivably, as in the relationship between Orual the
    warrior-queen and her captain, Bardia, in C.S. Lewis' novel Till We
    Have Faces, that such a bond would cross gender lines.

    As soon as I sent my original post, I realized that I had left the
    "war is a man thing" incomplete. What I should have added is that men
    are the ones who control the power and resources needed to wage war
    and that, consequently, the decision to lead a nation into war is a
    decision made by men, not by women. Even here in the United States
    where we're not supposed to go to war unless Congress so determines,
    is war really a decision of the people, i.e., _all_ the people?

    The other thing I don't think I made clear in my original post is that
    part of my resolving my conflict about black men and military service
    is my capitulation to the reality that nations need militaries. I
    think it's because of our need for militaries--and because not
    everybody is willing to undertake that kind of service--that societies
    will always have a need for monuments to those who serve in the
    militaries of the world, whether the regimes served are evil, good,
    or, as is usually the case, somewhere in between.

    Another part of the resolution I came to has often been expressed by
    African American ideologues (some of whom have been labeled apologists
    for assimilation because they made such claims) that, by and large,
    those black Americans who have not psychically and intellectually
    separated from the United States want to participate fully in the
    nation they helped build. By extension, full participation would
    include the protection and defense of that nation. On that basis, I
    would add to others' observations about what draws ethnic minorities
    to military service the reality that some people--men and women
    both--do, in fact, see it as part of being fully American.

    S. Flowers