Re: [sixties-l] Re: Plantation to the Penitentary.

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 19:38:54 CUT

    Maggie (hi again!), you're very right to put the abolition of slavery in proper
    context of subsequent years and years of oppression by other means. By the
    same token, though, if we can't point to any momentous outcomes of mobilizing
    against oppression (because oppression still remains) we run the very real risk
    of a cynical fatalism --'why bother?' I think the abolition of slavery is a
    great victory for progressive forces and shouldn't be dismissed because of the
    horrific forms of oppression that persisted. "Owning other people" is no
    longer justifiable in common discourse, whereas it once was --hard as that is
    to imagine in today's world (exceptions, of course, still crop up). Now if we
    could get to the point where common discourse considered "wage slavery" and the
    huge income/wealth differential, and debilitating poverty in the same light....

    In a sense, I think the 60s have succumbed to the same washing, at least in the
    eyes of quite a few young people who don't know what the world was like before
    the 60s: i.e., the Movement failed, so why bother to get involved if all that
    noise and action didn't accomplish much.

    My two bits,

    Ted