Re: [sixties-l] Re: Plantation to the Penitentary.

From: William Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 22:16:59 CUT

    I agree most strongly. Ask any African-American whether s/he'd
    rather be a slave or free, with all the limitations racism
    imposes.
       Maggie would have had abolition purely on moral grounds, but
    that's only one of many human motivations. Think of the meaning
    of hundreds sof thousands of Union soldiers who marched to the
    front singing:
            "John Brown's body lies a-mouldering in the grave,
            "But his soul goes marching on."
       That does not mean they were purified of racism or that most
    of them did not practice it when the war was over. But they did
    not return to the pre-war practice of mobbing and, on some
    occasions, killing Abolitionists.
       "Pure" leaps forward simply do not occur. If one waits for
    consciousness on any issue to reach that level, nothing will ever
    happen.
                                    William Mandel

    --
    To be removed from list, e-mail "Opt Out."
    You may find of interest website www.BillMandel.net