[sixties-l] Machine Gun-Toting Black Panther Protest Called Legal

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 22:25:47 CUT

    Saturday June 17, 2000; 1:11 PM EDT
    Machine Gun-Toting Black Panther Protest Called Legal

    When fifteen members of the New Black Panther Party brandished AK-47
    machine guns as they marched through the streets of downtown Houston
    Friday, they broke no laws, say Texas media sources.
    "It is legal in Texas to carry such firearms openly as long as the carrier
    is not a felon and does not aim the weapon at anyone," reported The Houston
    Chronicle on Saturday. In the same report the Chronicle said the group
    "carried shotguns, AK-47s and other rifles."
    The heavily armed Panthers were marching on the Texas state GOP convention
    to protest the execution of convicted murderer Gary Graham, scheduled for
    next Thursday. They also demanded an end to the death penalty across the
    country.
    Laura Bush, wife of likely GOP presidential nominee George W. Bush,
    addressed the state convention on Friday, though it's not clear if she was
    aware of the assault rifle-toting protesters outside.
    "As for all the weapons that were carried today, we are told that is legal
    unless someone feels intimidated or threatened," reported Susan Bose in a
    live-from-the-scene account broadcast on "News 2 Houston" late Friday. Bose
    added, "The DA's office tells me they are investigating but do not expect
    to file any charges as to those weapons."
    Video accompanying Bose's "News 2 Houston" report showed more than a dozen
    Panthers clad in military-style fatigues carrying what she described as
    "assault rifles."
    On Friday, Houston Police Department spokesman Robert Hurst told
    NewsMax.com that the guns carried by the Panthers "we're not AK-47's, based
    on the information that's been passed on to me."
    Reached on Saturday, Hurst stood by his account, saying, "I will tell you
    once again that the information given to me is that there were no AK-47s.
    They were what are referred to as 'long rifles' or 'assault rifles.' But
    the information that was passed on to me by our officers on the scene is
    that there were no AK-47s in the group."
    Guns like the AK-47 have been heavily regulated by the U.S. government
    since the 1930's.
    In February 1993 the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms launched an
    armed raid on the Branch Davidian church at Waco, Texas, based on
    suspicions that the same kind of assault weapons were being stored inside.
    The raid, in which both Davidians and BATF agents were killed, began a
    51-day stand-off that culminated in the deaths of more than 80 church
    members, including 25 children.
    The Clinton administration has long boasted about its zero tolerance for
    guns in public places. But in the 24 hours since the Houston Panther
    assault rifle incident, there has been no hint that the feds are interested
    in investigating.
    According to Houston Police the guns wielded by the Black Panthers on
    Friday were not loaded, but it's not clear how that was determined. Hurst
    told NewsMax.com that he didn't know whether cops on the scene had
    personally inspected the weapons, though HPD did "closely monitor" the
    demonstration.
    "News 2 Houston" reported that the protest's single incident of violence
    was sparked by a question about whether the Panther guns were loaded:
    "Just as the group started marching away, the protest turned heated.
    Disabled veteran A.J. McClure claims one of the Black Panthers pushed him
    over, after he asked if their guns were loaded."
    McClure was erroneously described as wheelchair-bound in yesterday's
    NewsMax.com report. He is, by his own account, 100 percent disabled but
    appeared fully ambulatory in the "News 2 Houston" video.
    The Houston Chronicle identified McClure Saturday as a GOP convention
    delegate from Kaufman County.
    Click HERE for The Houston Chronicle Report on the armed Black Panther protest.
    Read the full transcript of "News 2 Houston's" report by Suzanne Bose:
    BOSE: Armed members of the Black Panthers protested today demanding
    clemency for Gary Graham. But their protest turned heated after a disabled
    veteran says he was pushed by a Black Panther.
    DEMONSTRATORS: Black power! Black power!
    BOSE: Chanting and carrying assault rifles, about 15 Black Panthers led by
    Quanell X marched outside the state GOP convention demanding that Gary
    Graham's execution next Thursday be stopped.
    QUANELL X: Brother Shoka SanKopa, a.k.a. Gary Graham, does not deserve to
    die. One: we demand an immediate moratorium on the white supremist, racist
    and classist death penalty in the state of Texas and across the country.
    BOSE: Quanell X listed several demands, including a new trial for Graham.
    But just as the group started marching away, the protest turned heated.
    Disabled veteran A.J. McClure claims one of the Black Panthers pushed him
    over, after he asked if their guns were loaded.
    MCCLURE: And the big guy without a gun, after I backed up, he got up in my
    face. And I said, "Don't get in my face." He said "Back up." And I backed
    up. But after I backed up he pushed me over. And I'm a 100 percent disabled
    veteran and I don't deserve to be treated that way.
    BOSE: As McClure was taken to the V.A. Hospital for treatment, Quanell X
    denied he was pushed.
    QUANELL X : If that gentleman said that I pushed him that's an outright
    lie. I believe it's on camera, what I did. I believe the man tripped over
    his own feet.
    BOSE: HPD detectives are investigating and say charges are possible. And
    police say they were prepared for any possible violence during the
    demonstration.
    HPD SPOKESMAN ROBERT HURST: We did have extra personnel on standby in case
    there was any situation we ha to deal with.
    BOSE: Now, A.J. McClure has filed a complaint with HPD but no charges have
    been filed at this point. As for all the weapons that were carried today,
    we are told that is legal unless someone feels intimidated or threatened.
    And the DA's office tells me they are investigating but they do not expect
    to file any charges as to those weapons. We are live downtown. I'm Suzanne
    Bose.