Re: [sixties-l] Re: [Fwd: sixties-l-Vietnam War

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 14:54:34 CUT

    I respect Jeff Blankfort's disagreement with my analysis of the 1968 election.
    My analysis was that by 1968, the most important power bases of the Democratic
    Party, including important business and corporate funders, had turned
    against the war.
    Their opposition was pragmatic, rather than moral or ideological. They saw
    that the price
    of victory would be too high and continuing it in any way would seriously
    destablize
    American society and what business needs more than anything else is stability.

    I pretty much agree with Jeff's analysis of the Democrats as a "war party,"
    but the situation in
    1968 was unique because liberal Democrats had moved to an anti-war position
    (however
    moderate their demands) and that continuing the war would have totally
    destroyed the Democratic Party.

    In other words, the anti-war movement was winning and just as we were about
    to achieve our strategic goal of
    forcing an end to the war, we upped the ante and abandoned the goal of
    ending the war for an unreachable fantasy
    of creating a revolution (I harbored revolutionary fantasies at that time
    and they were reinforced by the mainstream
    media that also thought (or feared) we were entering a revolutionary
    situation -- but we were not).

    That's the argument. You can accept my data and still come to the
    conclusion that Jeff did. The argument is important, I think,
    because the question of when to push forward and when to compromise comes
    up time and again. In addition, the need to be objective in analysis has
    often been compromised by ideology, wishful thinking, and too much
    attention to cultural imagery; i.e., confusing nonconformist in-your-face
    dress, music and attitude with revolutionary politics.

    An aside: a writer named David Horowitz wrote a wonderful book in 1962
    called Free World Colossus that I used as a source in my history of the
    postwar, The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1962. Horowitz, drawing
    inspiration from historian William Appleman Williams, was one of the first
    historians to describe American complicity in the Cold War and
    interventions in the third world. Is this "our" David Horowitz, the same DH
    who has joined the Republican right in advocating U.S. intervention in the
    third world and, if so, does he now renounce his first book, Free World
    Colossus?

    A second aside. I don't like Jeff's put-down of Todd Gitlin. Todd shares
    our history and experience. He took the same risks we did in the sixties,
    wrote for the same underground papers, that didn't pay him anything. Now
    he's a success because he's written books about the new left experience.
    It's not his fault the media seeks out his opinion. That Jeff opposes some
    of the positions he's taken
    should be food for debate, not dismissal. We all want justice but disagree
    how to achieve it.

    For all that we did in the 1960s (and we were right about the war) our
    movement is essentially marginalized. For example, the only choice we will
    have in the 2000 presidential election is Ralph Nader (or other more
    marginal left-wing candidates). We need to ask ourselves why this happened
    and not read anyone, e.g. Gitlin, out of the movement on the basis of
    tactical disagreements.

    There are reasons other than own flaws that caused us to become marginal.
    The power of the media, capitalisms ability to co-opt culture and make a
    profit (and render meaningless) the symbols of revolution (dress, language,
    music, etc.), and our campaign finance system which makes it impossible for
    candidates who don't have personal wealth or corporate money to compete
    effectively for public office have made movement-building a challenge. (And
    there are other challenges as well).

    One small sign of hope: In Vermont, Anthony Pollina, a Progressive running
    for governor, has qualified for full public financing in the November
    election. That means he will compete on a financially level-playing field
    with the Democratic incumbent and the Repulican challenger. Vermont, Maine,
    Arizona, and Massachusetts have new Clean Money Election Laws that give
    serious candidates the possibility of full public financing. Oregon and
    other states are pushing the idea. The model bill on which the clean money
    reform is based was conceived and drafted by veterans of the sixties
    movements, including folks from the anti-war movement and SNCC.

    Marty Jezer

    --
    Marty Jezer  *  22 Prospect St. *  Brattleboro, VT 05301 * p/f  802 257-5644

    Author: Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words (Basic Books) Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel (Rutgers University Press) The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960 (South End Press) Rachel Carson [American Women of Achievement Series] (Chelsea House) Check out my web page: http://www.sover.net/~mjez To subscribe to my Friday commentary, simply request to be put on my mailing list. It's free!