Re: [sixties-l] Re: 'A Generation Divided': book review

From: John Andrew (J_Andrew@acad.fandm.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 16:44:24 CUT

    Don Monkerud wrote, in part:

    >I too have been thinking about that review and found myself very critical
    >of premise that many crossed over to become both left and right behind a
    >facade of libertarianism.
    >
    >There were certainly many contradictions as we tried to plow our own row
    >and I think Sandra gets closer to the real questions.
    >
    >The original post was filled with political meanings, which I feel was a
    >set up to salve the consciousness of those who want to support someone
    >like Pat Buchannan. I'm appalled at the very suggestion that someone who
    >wants to put me in jail somehow becomes an ally. There was never a
    >connection between the button down boys at the YAF and SDS that I knew
    >about. Sure the book under review could find 35 people who crossed between
    >the two, but then given America, you could probably find many such
    >combinations; it doesn't represent a movement. (Listen to the right wing
    >talk shows and you'll find they want to make alliances with the WTO
    >protesters for their own ends.)

     I think that the link between YAF and SDS (actually, some of each)
    essentially stems from a libertarian spirit that many in both camps shared
    - thus both could oppose the draft, although YAF supported the Vietnam War
    and SDS did not - in my own research, which focused on YAF, I found
    examples of cooperation and I seem to remember that all of them came from
    libertarians in YAF -
    John Andrew

    John Andrew email: J_ANDREW@ACAD.FANDM.EDU
    Department of History fax 717-399-4518
    Franklin and Marshall College
    Lancaster, PA. 17604-3003

    "Fantasy Will Set You Free" - Steppenwolf