Don Duncan and Special Forces (multiple responses)

sixties-l@lists.village.virginia.edu
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:53:39 -0500

[1]

From: Joe McDonald <joe@countryjoe.com>
Subject: Re: Don Duncan and Special Forces

i think he lives in Canada and was the narrator on the vietnam war tv series
the 10,000 day war. cheers, country joe mcdonald

-- "The eldest son wont leave home nor cook soup. The ozone layer
thins .003 milliliters more. The wise person bends like bamboo in the
wind." Me Ching. country joe Home Pg <http://www.countryjoe.com>
country joe's tribute to Florence Nightingale
<http://www.countryjoe.com/nightingale> Berkeley Vietnam Veterans
Memorial <http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us>

[2]

From: Richard Manning <daltd@earthlink.net>

As an ex-CIA Plans and Ops. officer in Nam, and ex-NYC Police Dep't
detective, I am aware of the fact that a good number of these fellows
went into police work after SF service. So some Fraternal police
organization, like the International Assoc. of Chiefs of Police in
Alexandria, Va. (I used to be member) would be one source of contact.
BUT, although there were anumber of these guys who left service
disgruntled with what they did, and/or were asked to do, they also may
nor be too talkative due to a continuing presence in 'security'
organizations such as police. I believe it is worth a try though.

richard manning, daltd@earthlink.net
archives are also searchable by keyword at
http://lists.village.virginia.edu/Architext/AT-Sixtiesquery.html
_____________________________________

[3]

From: hal womack <womack@mail.coffeenet.net>
Subject: Test Submission

John Fournelle's inquiry re Special Forces Master Sergeant Donald
Duncan of Viet Nam fame in the '60s moves me to send in another short
comment as a probe:
The "sixties" list [hereinafter "60L"] owner or moderator has
suppressed my two previous responses to articles. This naturally leaves a
disagreeable taste in my mouth WRT 60L. I take it for granted that at
present 60L lacks a twin newsgroup either moderated or open through which
the posts would be permanently available through DejaNews search without
needing handling as e-mail.
In his book THE NEW LEGIONS Donald Duncan was the first prominent
American soldier to come over to the side of the Vietnamese against the
American war publicly and in print. The next such important figure was
Lt.Col.Anthony Herbert in his 1971 book SOLDIER! Having informed American
intellectual leaders with impeccable combat credentials speak out so
boldly was, of course, immensely important to the development of the
massive student movement in the US. I have the highest respect for these
two men. Consequently, I'd like to go on anybody's fan e-list for any word
that may turn up on them.
I myself was active on behalf of the Vietnamese from 1963 through
1975 in Texas, Pittsburgh, NYC and New Orleans. I also volunteered for a
brief hitch in the Army's "Pathfinder" airborne demolitions commando
program until my colonel at Ft.Polk busted me, unjustly, for inciting to
mutiny and gave me an honorable discharge. I would be very pleased to
regain contacts with any of my old friends from this period [including
GR].
FYI I will submit separately to 60L the transcript of Donald
Duncan's testimony before Lord Bertrand Russell's tribunal on US war
crimes in which he responds to, among others, Jean Paul Sartre and
Vladimir Dedijer.

The CoffeeNet (R) The greatest coffee AND the world (R)
744 Harrison Street at 3rd --->>> FREE e-mail and <<<---
San Francisco, CA 94107-1235 --->>> FREE personal WEB page! <<<---
Voice/FAX: (415) 495-7447 e-mail: roastmaster@mail.coffeenet.net

______________________________

[4]

From: hal womack <womack@mail.coffeenet.net>
Subject: Don Duncan at Russell Tribunal [Long]

10 DONALD DUNCAN

Testimony and Questioning

Vladimir Dedijer: You served in Vietnam. How long, when did you go?

I went to Vietnam in March of 1964 and returned from Vietnam in September of
1965.

Dedijer: In which unit did you serve?

I was in the United States Army Special Forces, sometimes referred to as the
Green Berets. I essentially had four different jobs while I was in Vietnam
which took me from the northern provinces south of the 17th parallel to the
Ca Mau peninsula.

Gisele Halimi: Mr President, I would like to ask you, to finish identifying
the witness, to read to the Tribunal and the audience this piece of
testimony. It is a letter of congratulation addressed to Sergeant Donald
Duncan, which comes from the Headquarters of the 5th Special Forces Group of
the US Army, because this will finish the witness's identification.

Dedijer: I will read it. This is from the Headquarters 5th Special Forces
Group Airborne, First Special Forces, APO US Forces 96240, 22 July 1965.
Subject: Letter of Appreciation, to M-Sgt Donald W. Duncan, Headquarters,
5th Special Forces Group, ABM, First Special Forces, APO US Forces 96240:

[MODERATOR'S NOTE: Text was truncated in the email. I will forward
the rest if I receive a full copy.]