Query-African American public opinion (multiple responses)

sixties-l@lists.village.virginia.edu
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:53:41 -0500

[1]

From: Mark Bunster <mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu>
Subject: Re: Query-African American public opinion

At 08:19 PM 10/26/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone can direct me
>to any articles, books, etc. on public opninion in general
>(trends, demographics etc.) and more specifically, public
>opinion on the war. I know there's very little regarding
>African-American opinion of the war prior to 1968. Thank
>you.
>Michael Loret de Mola

Your university is part of the Inter-University Consortium of Political and
Social Research, and as such you are entitled to free use of the many many
datasets contained within that archive. Your representative at UVA is
Patrick Yott.

Of particular interest may be this listing:

STUDYNO = 07295;
INVESTIGATOR = Verba, Sidney, Richard Brody, et al.;
TITLE = PUBLIC OPINION AND THE WAR IN VIETNAM STUDY, 1966;
SUMMARY = Information for the study was obtained from 1,497 respondents, 2
cards of data per respondent, in the form of 80 variables. This survey,
conducted by the National Opinion Research Center, was administered in
February and March, 1966, to a cross-section of the adult population in the
United States. The study was designed to elicit opinions about the
involvement of the United States in Vietnam. Questions covered the usual
demographic variables, problems in the news, the respondents' vote in 1964,
the number of years they served in the armed forces, their knowledge of the
Vietnam war and their opinion on what the government should do now in
Vietnam.;

RELATED.PUBS = Verba, Sidney, and Richard A. Brody, et al. ''Public Opinion
and the War in Vietnam,'' American Political Science Review, 61 (June 1967).;

RELATED.PUBS = Page, Benjamin, and Richard A. Brody. ''Policy Voting and
the Electoral Process: The Vietnam War Issue,'' American Political Science
Review, 65 (September 1972).;

RELATED.PUBS = Verba, Sidney, and Richard A. Brody. ''Participation,
Preferences, and the War in Vietnam,'' Public Opinion Quarterly, (Fall
1970).;

Good luck!
Mark Bunster *Are you tired of the same old thing
mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu *or are you happy enough?
Survey Research Lab *When does so much become so little
VA. Commonwealth U. *when does too little become too much?
Richmond, VA 23284 * --NmN
or try rbunster@infi.net
______________________________

[2]

From: "James L. Wood" <jwood@mail.sdsu.edu>

Why don't you look at Gallup Poll data of that time period, as well as
Field data, etc.

James L. Wood <jwood@mail.sdsu.edu>

[3]

From: Barbara L Tischler <blt1@columbia.edu>

Gerald Gill wrote an excellent dissertation on African-American
background and for how he frames the African-Aemrican response to war
before and after it is actually declared.Good luck!

Barbara L. Tischler

[4]