That stupid smiley/Welcome Marty J

Stu Shiffman and Andi Shechter (roscoe@halcyon.com)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:14:49 -0800

>From: Marty Jezer
It's nice to see you here. I Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel was a terrific
book and I have your latest work on hold at the library (sorry, I hate
telling an author I haven't bought his book, but I'm on limited
(disability) income. Gulp)..

>Does anyone know the origin of that corny smiley face? I believe
>it was an authentic hippie creation that was appropriated by the
>corporate culture and rendered into a meaningless cliche.

I remember a few years ago that here in Seattle, there was a political
candidate whose apparently claim to fame was that he "invented" the smiley
face. I can no longer remember his name, or what office he was running
for. I think he's now in banking, but I have a vague memory that at the
time, he was in advertising. I also remember thinking it was reason enough
not to vote for him. If you would like, or need, I could research it more.

Andi

"[G]eography is only physics slowed down and with a few trees stuck on
it..." FEET OF CLAY, Terry Pratchett