Re: Masculinity/John Wayne/Antiwar protest (multiple responses)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 02:34:01 -0500

[1]

From: GUSTAIJJ@SPLAVA.CC.PLATTSBURGH.EDU
Subject: Re: Fw: Masculinity/John Wayne/Antiwar protest

Kerri:

A booklength study that you should not neglect is Susan Jeffords,
THE REMASCULINIZATION OF AMERICA; GENDER AND THE VIETNAM WAR
(Bloomington and Indianapolis, IN: Indiana University Press, 1989).

A useful essay is Michael Anderegg, "Hollywood and Vietnam: John
Wayne and Jane Fonda as Discourse," in Michael Anderegg, ed.,
INVENTING VIETNAM: THE WAR IN FILM AND TELEVISION (Philadelphia, PA:
Temple University Press, 1991), pp. 15-32.

Best of luck with what sounds like an interesting study.

Justin Gustainis
Department of Communication
SUNY-Plattsburgh
___________________________

[2]

From: baky@lasalle.edu

of material on this broad and complex subject. I believe it would be
better and more efficient if you would say what you HAVE examined so
far rather than the other way around. For example, how much Susan
Jeffords have you read, have you talked to Kali Tal or read any of her
writing, have you seen the Gender issue of Viet Nam Generation.

I could probably suggest a dozen things but I don't want to go through
making citations if you have seen them already.

John Baky
___________________________

[3]

From: "drieux, just drieux" <drieux@wetware.com>

one place you should stop along the way is

Warrior Dreams
Gibson

and you might look at

Achilles in Vietnam
jonathan shay

sorry, no ISBN right now, the books are at
work so I can not pull down the specifics.

synopis of these is that they deal with the
transition of american male identity in the
'post vietnam' era. I do not believe that anyone
has yet really done any decent studies on the
need to address 'masculine' image from the 'male side'
of the equation. Much of what I have seen in the last
twenty years has either been 'men doing feminism' or
'feminist critiques of male dominant cultural paradigm'.

We have, though, the challange of the 'promise keepers'
as a question mark over whether or not we really can
finally escape back to the mythological era of the fifties
and act as if the sixties never happened. The alternative
'drum beating' schticht has not been very useful for many
of us from the WarMongerBabyKillerKabalOfNotReallyButchEnoughToBeThrilledAboutPlayingNearTowardsWar
since we have done our wars, and are not too impressed with
them as a viable long term social model.

If there is a 'hole' in the reality of the sixties cultural
paradigm shifting, it really is this lack of working out how
to be just a plain old fashion vanilla het male. I look at this
problem from the perspective of what I want to pass along to
my son as guidance, and to my daughter on what to do with males.
But so far there just does not seem to be any substantive body
of works on what being 'just male' is all about.

ciao
drieux

E-mail: drieux@wetware.com
WebPage: http://www.wetware.com/drieux