Re: Vietnam Warriors, Statistics

John Andrew (J_Andrew@ACAD.FANDM.EDU)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:21:24 -0400

>Joe McDonald wrote:
>
>These are results of a new survey from THE VIETNAM VETERANS MEMORIAL FUND
>Wash DC which i thought the list would find interesting and it plays
>with preconceptions we may have about who Vietnam Veterans really are.

Joe,
Thanks for this info (and the rest which I deleted to save
bandwith) -and this is not aimed at you personally - but I have a problem
with statistics like this, when they become part of the arguments about the
War and veterans - look closely and you'll find that the data really refers
(overall) to Vietnam-era vets - and that about 1 in 9 served in Vietnam-
mixing statistical information like this, which unfortunately seems to be
common in such surveys, produces misleading results and dilutes the impact
of the war on veterans -
John Andrew

John Andrew email: J_ANDREW@ACAD.FANDM.EDU
Department of History fax 717-399-4413
Franklin and Marshall College
Lancaster, PA. 17604-3003

"Fantasy Will Set You Free" - Steppenwolf