Re: academia/organizing (multiple posts)

sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:34:51 -0400

(1)
From: James Cummins (jimc1@earthlink.net

Ted:

Glad to hear that you don't agree. The three major phases of the cold war
were Korea, Viet Nam, and Afganistan. Morality of war is a personal
judgement. It may be that no war is moral, but some are justified. My war
was Korea, where I worked on amunition ships carrying the explosives needed
to stop communism at that frontier. Viet Nam was necessary to prevent
further communist expansion in Asia. Afganistan was a communist mistake,
becuse they did not learn from our experience in Viet Nam. We were able to
do to the communists in Afganistan what they had done to us in Viet Nam,
and the result was the destruction of the Soviet Union.

I might agree that the we should not have fought in Viet Nam if you can
convince me that the Sovit Union would have collapsed without it.

> Jim Cummins writes:
> >The sixties were responsible for the civil rights movement, which made a
> >big difference in the South, and even to some degree in the rest of the
> >country. The rest of it was of little consequence, mainly because it was
> >just wrong.
>
> The rest of this went, uh, right over my head. But, do tell, in what way
WAS