Re: academia/organizing (multiple posts)

Renny Christopher (rchristo@toto.csustan.edu)
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:45:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu wrote:

> (1)
> From: James Cummins (jimc1@earthlink.net
>
> to stop communism at that frontier. Viet Nam was necessary to prevent
> further communist expansion in Asia. Afganistan was a communist mistake,

But the communists won, and "communist expansion" happened! I don't quite
see what you're getting at with your particular phrasing--something like
"the attempt to prevent communist expansion in Asia was necessary" would
make more sense to me, since "x was necessary to prevent..." sounds like
the
effort was successful. I am familiar with the "argument" that the US
didn't lose the war in Viet Nam, but I have never heard anyone try to
argue that the communists didn't take over the entire country in April
1975.

Renny Christopher