Re: Go Ask Alice & Drugs in the Sixties (multiple posts)

SIXTIES-L (SIXTIES-L@jefferson.village.virginia.edu)
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 05:16:55 -0400

[1]

From: Tom Condit <tomcondit@igc.apc.org>
Subject: Re: The Author of GO ASK ALICE

At 10:38 AM 6/12/97 -0800, Nigel Sellars wrote:

[snip]
>Certainly Dr. Sparks' misuse of
>another teenager's journal raises questions of unethical behavior.
>What does everybody else think?

I thought the connection to the Satanic stuff was most interesting. There is
a national network of fundamentalist Christians and Mormons (which Sparks
might or might not be part of) which sparked the whole furor about "Satanic
child abuse" in the 1980s. You can get the pattern of this in Debbie Nathan
and Michael Snedeker's book _Satan's Silence_, but it is of course right out
of a whole long American tradition of fantasizing about the dangers of
"losing control" which extends way back in history. When it comes to drugs,
it got particularly loony. Remember "Reefer Madness"? Or the book by the
head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics (now D.E.A.) which was the flip side
of the Ace double-book edition of William Burroughs' _Junkie_?

I think one of the biggest problems with drug use in the 1960s (and today)
was that it was hard to tell people about the real dangers and problems
associated with various drugs when they were surrounded by obvious lies.
Once a kid had figured out that marijuana use wasn't going to necessarily
either (a) addict him or turn him into a heroin addict or (b) cause him to
rape his grandmother and kill his dog with an axe, it was a little hard to
persuade that the warnings about PCP were actually true. The solution to all
this, of course, is to keep cops and preachers away from social problems.

(Then, of course, there's the racial angle to all this. Nobody got much
worried about opium until the anti-Chinese campaigns of the late 19th
century, and marijuana first became a matter for federal legislation as part
of the campaign to deport all those [allegedly] "pot-smoking Mexicans" in
the 1930s. Of course, both drugs were as widely used among anglos as anyone
else, but the imagery of alien, insidious invaders with their exotic drugs
was handy for political purposes.)

[2]