(no subject)

(no name) ((no email))
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:58:19 -0500

es-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>; Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:02:44 -0500
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 01:03:07 -0500
To: sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
From: rstanley@husc.harvard.edu (Ryan Stanley)
Subject: INQ: an antiwar song

Speaking of women in the Vietnam War (see Benjamin Berry's inquiry), I
wonder if anyone can help me track down a song of which a friend of mine
once had a recording. Unfortunately I've lost touch with the friend. The
singer was a woman with a very raw voice and it starts (a capella), 'My
name is Penny Evans and I just turned 21, a young widow from the war that's
being fought in Vietnam...' I don't really remember much of the rest of it,
except that it was quite moving in a simple sort of way. Anyone know the
singer and/or title? I doubt this was hit-parade material so I suppose it
could have been recorded and sung by lots of people. Thanks for anyone's
help.

Ryan Stanley