Ideology from the 60s to the 90s (fwd)

sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Fri, 3 May 1996 10:14:53 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 12:17:44 -0400
From: tuckerpf@sprynet.com
To: sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Subject: Ideology from the 60s to the 90s

This message was submitted by tuckerpf@sprynet.com to list
sixties-l@jefferson.village.virginia.edu. If you forward it back to the lis=
t,
it will be distributed without the paragraphs above the dashed line. You ma=
edit the Subject: line and the text of the message before forwarding it bac=
k.

If you edit the messages you receive into a digest, you will need to remove
these paragraphs and the dashed line before mailing the result to the list.
Finally, if you need more information from the author of this message, you
should be able to do so by simply replying to this note.

----------------------- Message requiring your approval -------------------=

---
Sender: tuckerpf@sprynet.com

This posting is mostly about something much discussed here--ideology. I sh= ould=20 start by pointing out that, unlike a good number of people in this group, I= do=20 not share a fundamentally =93left=94 view of the world, whatever that means= in this=20 day and age. I didn=92t in the sixties, either, something that may have b= een=20 inferred from my last posting. Yes, I subscribed to Ramparts and demonstra= ted=20 and read Soul on Ice. But this interest was almost purely a romantic one. = It=20 stopped short when I had read enough economics to conclude that the rubber = of=20 romance had hit the road of centralized planning with a terrible thud. So = I was=20 not and I am not a true believer as far as the left is concerned, although = I=20 still find parts aesthetically appealing. =20

What the hell, I ought to put my cards on the table. I figure if Grover ca= n be=20 gutsy enough to come out as a communist at a time when the hard left has be= en=20 almost totally discredited in the public mind, it should hardly be an act o= f=20 courage for me to state I do not share that view.

I don=92t think I am unusual in my orientation, even as a =93sixties person= =94. Most=20 of my cohorts can be classified as having belonged to a sort-of Aquarian Si= lent=20 Majority. We were not street people, we were not committed radicals, we we= re=20 not full-time freaks or hippies. Today, some of my friends I grew up with = in=20 that era are lawyers in legal aid, others are bond lawyers; some are govern= ment=20 types of a liberal persuasion, others investment bankers. We were nonethel= ess=20 touched at some deep level by the era--this depth of affiliation being one = of=20 the reasons I hang out here, despite the fact that I am straight,=20 non-drug-ingesting, politically moderate and broadly speaking anti-utopian.= =20

In a Foucaultian sense, the sixties was about us, too, not just the leaders= and=20 the elites. In fact, the =93mass=94 element that makes the social movement= s of the=20 late sixties so distinctive owe much to the effective mobilization of this= =20 Silent Majority, even if this mobilization was highly temporary. In my vie= w,=20 the PLP *not* viewed against a background of mass social upheaval would be = a=20 pretty sorry sight.

So, anyway, ideology. In reading some postings here, I am reminded of the = adage=20 about revenue collecting: =93don=92t tax me, don=92t tax thee, tax that man= under the=20 tree.=94 I=92d adapt that to read : =93I believe in you, you believe in me= , but=20 *that* man=92s got ideology!=94 Now, I am not a scholar--fairly well read = for a=20 layman, maybe, but not a scholar--but when I read Grover state that he came= =20 suddenly to recognize that the existence of classes means the existence of = class=20 oppression and that this leads to the need for class struggle and the right= ness=20 of communism. . . I wonder if he has any idea how ideological *that* sounds= to=20 someone like me? =20

I mean, it=92s standard issue left analysis in this group to just up and di= scount=20 conservative (moderate? mainstream?) voices as by-products of right-wing=20 corporatist ideology, usually with a reference to Chomsky and the word=20 =93hegemonic=94 thrown in somewhere. But by Grover=92s own narrative, his = insight=20 seems as much a conversion one as a purely intellectual one.

I do not say this to disparage or doubt the sincerity of the insight. But = the=20 sixties taught me--sad to say in many ways--that the fiery flash of insigh= t can=20 be fickle. So I would ask those who categorize different viewpoints as sim= ply=20 ideological to at least recognize that turnabout is fair play.

Let me go further. Take the Chomskian view (as Henny Youngman might say,= =20 please!). Ted Morgan recently wrote of Chomskian censorship notions that h= e =20 =93find(s) this literature completely persuasive, though explaining HOW the= =20 'censorship' occurs is sometimes problematic.=94 I agree that it is proble= matic.

At Ted Morgan=92s suggestion, I went to the library and took out the video = version=20 of Manufacturing Consent to bone up on my Chomsky. (Funny thing, too, it= =92s=20 always available at the library. People for some strange reason seem to pr= efer=20 feature films or even old Bill Moyers PBS shows.) =20

When I get into this kind of analysis, I am reminded of that old article=20 assigned in anthropology classes, =93The Body Rituals of the Nacirema=94. = The=20 article purports to be an ethnographic study of the strange body rituals of= an=20 exotic tribe, the Nacirema. =93Nacirema=94 is, of course, =93American=94 s= pelled=20 backwards. All the behaviors described are =93normal American=94, but, div= orced=20 from a common framework of meaning, they appear quite odd. The insight the= =20 article provides comes from the recognition that the same set of social fac= ts or=20 behaviors can appear quite different depending on one=92s point of view and= in=20 particular if one is part of or not part of the shared belief system of the= =20 culture in question. =20

I think of this article because it reminds me of some media-conspiratorial= =20 analyses. Chomsky=92s work can be documented, as are the rituals of the Na= cirema.=20 But is there anything missing? I think so. I think what=92s missing, bro= adly=20 speaking, is that this style of analysis elevates politics and ignores cult= ure.=20 More narrowly, I think Chomsky is simply analyzing how parts of the Americ= an=20 cultural system operate. Are there elites, in some sense of the word? Yes= . Do=20 some people have more access to the means of production in informational te= rms=20 than others? Yes. Do some consumers of that information make some judgmen= ts on=20 the basis of the value system embedded in that information system? Yes. N= ow=20 what? Well, if you are into class analysis, you=92re off and running on th= at=20 track, dropping that =93hegemony=94 word again. If not, you may conclude y= ou are=20 simply watching the means by which consensus and conflict are adjudicated a= nd=20 resolved in modern mass culture.

This is painting with a broad brush, I admit, so let me try to make my poin= t=20 more concrete and specific. Much has been made this campaign season of Pat= =20 Buchanan=92s populist appeal. Whether or not he *really* represents the mo= nied=20 corporate interests despite his rhetoric is beside the point--his rhetoric = at=20 least was populist and anti-corporate and those who wanted to listen to it = had a=20 venue. But I read that in some states, like South Carolina, he failed to p= ick=20 up expected support because, as the focus groups tell it, blue-collar voter= s=20 said that, while they didn=92t rightly like job loss, they recognized that = there=20 were offsetting job gains made possible by the kind of internationalization= =20 Buchanan derided. =20

You can say this represents the triumph of corporatist ideology (=93false= =20 consciousness=94 among the Nacirema.) But I think it is more plausible to= =20 conclude that these folks were simply making a rational assessment of their= =20 situation and that it was an assessment based on a pretty good read of the = world=20 as it is. If you want to put a Frankfurt School gloss on this, concluding = that=20 =93capitalism has created the conditions under which its alternatives canno= t be=20 conceived=94--that sort of thing--be my guest. But you=92ll have a hard ti= me=20 convincing me that there=92s not heavy duty ideologizing going on. And I t= hink=20 you=92d have less luck convincing that guy in South Carolina. =20

Jeff Apfel