Re: "The Sounds of Silence" - input/reactions

Michael Rappe (mrappe@alpha1.phoenix.net)
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 23:15:52 -0400

Michael Bozzo wrote:

>Hello out there!
> My name is Mike, and I am doing a paper for my seminar on the
>1960's. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
> My topic is the Simon and Garfunkel song "The Sound of Silence",
>and its effect on the movie "The Graduate", starring Dustin Hoffman
>and Anne Bancroft. I'm trying to develop a very literal
>interpretaion of the song, in an effort to discover its larger
>meaning. I'd be interested to know any personal interpretations or
>theories that are floating around out there. Please tell me your
>reactions and thoughts on the song and, if you feel like it, the
>movie. Also, tell me your thoughts on the relevance and/or

This is not a very sophisticated analysis of the song/movie, but having
grown up during that period and seeing the movie when It first came out,
I will give you my two cents worth.

The song as well as the movie conveys a feeling of searching, dissolutionment
with the status quo ( Establishment ), and the loneliness that comes with
entering of *that* world without buying into it. The Graduate is moving from
the world of his childhood into the adult world and does not see anything
worthwhile (until his relationship with the girl) in it. It is a common
theme of the 60's generation gap and the questioning of values.
The music is well done and succeeds in giving impressions and feelings that
the director wants you to feel but should not be analyzed on a literal basis
(kind of like an impressionist painting).

Anyway that is my opinion,

Mike Rappe'
mrappe@alpha1.phoenix.net