Re: The Civil Rights Movement, Manifestaion or Motive (fwd)

sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:31:49 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Sender: Kathleen Rout <rout@pilot.msu.edu>
Subject: Re: The Civil Rights Movement, Manifestaion or Motive

I would like to back up Sandra on the grounds that for youth of the day (like
myself) the fact that there had been a version of the Civil Rights Movement or
even of antiwar sentiment dating back to my/our births and earlier is
irrelevant to our persceptions in high school in the late fifties/early 60's,
since we didn't watch newsreels from the early days or read historical studies
to get our opinions. I recall it was a huge surprise when the Supreme Court
began it all, really, with Brown v. Topeka, which meant that the received way
of doing things was wrong--an opinion underlined and reinforced by the CRM and
the hoses and police dogs. To reject Traditional American Values like racism
along with the generally ultra-conservative Right-wing social values that
applied in every other category was a package deal, no more and nor less. it
was anti-parent's generation, if you will. The war cam slong NRXT and was
also authoritarian, racist and anti-Peace and Love--besides, the government
was seen as either lying or crazed with insane and hysterical anti-Communism
or both and therefore reprehensible. It was easy to be anti- all 3 at once,
and the 1954 Supreme Court decision was indeed the origin of that movement
(except I did read Jack Kerouac and I did adore the general rebelliousness of
The Wild One and Rebel without a Cause and Elvis Presley just at the cusp of
these changes). Oh, and it's Descartes, and I had not heard of him until
sophomore year in college--formative influence? Can't say no. KKR

> > I would
have to argue against
Sandra Flowers apparent > assertion that the Civil Rights Movement, which had