Mayday (fwd)

sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 23:13:28 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 09:31:21 +0000
From: pscook <pscook@mat.net>
To: sixties@jefferson.village.virginia.edu
Subject: Mayday

As its 25th anniversary approaches, my thoughts have returned to Mayday,
1971, that final, frustrating, gallant, naive attempt to stop the war by
stopping Washington's traffic. I was a radical journalist who came to
Washington to publish the demonstration's newspaper and ended up in jail
like tens of thousands of others.

I've lived in Washington almost ever since, walking past the spots where
once crowds surged through tear gas and we linked arms to make a pact
for peace. It was just yesterday and so very long ago, forgotten,
denied.

Does anyone else remember those few glorious days, that time of our
youth when anything was possible and we would change the world?

I suppose life moves along, but mine never quite did. Perhaps I mourn
the innocence I lost on Washington's streets. A piece of a generation
died then and there's no memorial to it, except in my heart.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who remembers, or who would entertain
more ramblings from this aging soul.

Steve Cook
202-289-0133
scook@mat.net