Woodstock & Haight Ashbury (multiple posts)

sixties@jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 17:08:09 -0500

[1]

Sender: Stephen R Denney <sdenney@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: Woodstock and San Francisco (multiple posts)

It is too bad the Haight Ashbury became commerialized and veered away
from its original community-minded spirit in the course of about one
year. I think one reason behind this may have been the reliance on
hallucanogenic drugs as a kind of substitute for religion, and with each
person having their own vision with these drugs there was no clear sense
of direction for the Haight Ashbury as a spiritual community. Thus within
a few years, people began searching for religious communities which they
could join.
- Steve Denney
sdenney@uclink.berkeley.edu
or sdenny@igc.apc.org

[2]

Sender: Elizabeth Gips <changes@cruzio.com>
Subject: Re: San Francisco (2 posts)

>One of the very interesting books on the San Francisco Summer of Love is
>Nicholas Von Hoffman's WE ARE THE PEOPLE ARE PARENTS WARNED US ABOUT
>which is published by Ivan Dee Publishers and is available in paper. I
>have used it in courses and students enjoy it very much.

I'm pretty certain that I'm mentioned in that book. I remember hitchhiking
somewhere many years back and picking up the book which was in the back of
the car. It opened to my name if I remember correctly. Von Hoffman
visited my "House on Love Street", and we took him to a large communal acid
drop at Holidays or Aum Commune. When he asked me quizzically what all
those "strangely acting people" were doing, I answered, "If you had never
had sex and saw people making love, what would you make of it?"
He answered, "I wouldn't understand at all. It would look very strange."
"Well, I can't explain to you what the LSD experience is either," I
answered. "You have to experience it."
I may be wrong, but my memory is that he did, indeed, partake of the
experience shortly after,

love, Elizabeth Gips

"Continuity in Change is the secret of the eternity of the Universe" The I
Ching
Elizabeth Gips http://www.icenine.com/changes/
Changes evolutionary audio, greater Monterey Bay: KKUP 91.5 FM, Tuesdays
2-6pm