SDS visitors

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 17:51:22 EST

    Back on December 3rd, I wrote:

    >Paul Eggert and Phil Berrie, of the Australian Centre for Scholarly
    >Editions, will be visiting us (courtesy of the Mellon "Supporting Digital
    >Scholarship" project) February 15th-20th. Paul and Phil have pioneered
    >"Just-in-time Markup," a version of standoff markup that permits multiple
    >non-nesting markup schemes to be applied to a single underlying text. This
    >work is described in a recent conference paper at:
    >
    >http://auc.uow.edu.au/conf/conf00/papers/AUC2000_Berrie.pdf
    >
    >As the schedule for the visit develops, I'll pass information along--and
    >please let me know if there are dates on which you could not attend a
    >public lecture, and if you are interested in meeting privately with Paul
    >and Phil while they're here.

    Well, the time is upon us. We've scheduled a public talk for 10-11 a.m. on
    Wednesday the 20th of February (next Wednesday), in Clemons 322A. I hope
    everyone who is able, and interested, will attend. Paul and Phil will also
    be around on Friday, Monday, and Tuesday, so if you would like to meet with
    them privately, please let me know what time would be good for you, and I
    will arrange it. And of course, if you are of a mind to entertain, let me
    know--the SDS grant would be glad to send you out to dinner one of those
    nights, or over the weekend. I can testify that both Paul and Phil are
    good company.

    If you want to learn more about Paul, his home page is at:
    http://idun.itsc.adfa.edu.au/SOE/staff/Paul.htm. He is Head of the School
    of Language, Literature, and Communication, and Director of the Australian
    Scholarly Editions Centre (http://idun.itsc.adfa.edu.au/ASEC/). I don't
    have a home page for Phil, I'm afraid.