David Millman visit

From: John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 15:26:06 EST

    Hello all:

    David Millman (Manager, Research and Development Group, Academic Information
    Systems, Columbia University) will be visiting us at the end of this week
    (at IATH, Friday, all day, beginning around 9), courtesy of the SDS grant
    from Mellon. Some of you already know David and the projects he's involved
    with at Columbia--those who don't might want to look at:

    http://www.epic.columbia.edu/

            http://www.earthscape.org/

            http://www.dli2.nsf.gov/ukworkshop/presentations/millman_cu/millman_cu.pdf

    and those particularly interested in library systems architecture (in
    particular, certificates) might want to see:

    http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november99/millman/11millman.html

    http://www.clir.org/diglib/forums/sum99/aadigcerts/

    The day is loosely planned, with no formal presentation, but we hope to wear
    David out by the end of it anyway... We'll begin with show and tell in the
    morning, asking David to tell us about what's going on at Columbia, how the
    various initiatives there relate to one another, and what the underlying
    technologies are, etc.. Then we'll walk him through the SDS plans and the
    work done to date in that project. In the afternoon session, I'd like
    people to bring specific examples of digital library problems, either
    technical or policy problems, whether directly SDS-related or not, for
    discussion with David: his experience is quite broad, parallel to our own in
    some interesting ways, and divergent in other equally interesting ways. I
    know Daniel Pitti will be out of town, but I hope some of the policy
    committee members can drop in during the afternoon: everyone who's
    interested in the AM discussion should feel welcome to attend that as well.

    John Unsworth
    http://www.iath.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/.plan