Re: Attn: Chris Broom (women's center)

John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 00:18:43 -0500

At 08:16 PM 12/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Chris,
>I was about to peruse the floppy I picked up off of your desk, but on
>every computer I try it on, I get the message that the disk is not
>formatted. I've tried Word on PC's and Mac's, and have attempted to use
>Norton's Disk Doctor to format the disk without erasing the files and have
>failed. Is there something I'm not doing? I realize that you've been
>having trouble responding to the e-mails so I'll give you a call
>tomorrow. But if there's a surface problem that can be solved easily
>just leave a message on my machine at 243-3201 anytime tomorrow.

There's a minor possibility that this is a high-density disk formatted as
low-density on a Mac. If the disk has two square holes in it, one on each
back corner, then it's a High-density disk. It could still have been
formatted low-density, in a Mac, and if it was, then it wouldn't be
readable...unless:
put a piece of scotch tape over the extra square hole (the one that
low-density disks don't have) and then give it a try. Might work...

John Unsworth / Director, IATH / Dept. of English
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/