Re: attn: Mr. Miles

John Unsworth (jmu2m@virginia.edu)
Sun, 1 Dec 1996 17:11:20 -0500

At 02:16 AM 12/1/96 EST, you wrote:

>Dan,
>
>I am sorry to take so long to get back to you. I have not
>worked up a "brief" statement about SOLAR, however, if you go
>
>http://pen.k12.va.us/Anthology/Div/Charlottesville/SOLAR/Grant.HTML
>
>You will find the complete write-up.

I'd suggest that the SOLAR group take a stab at excerpting from the whole...
here's my stab at it:

In 1996 the Commonwealth of Virginia adopted new Standards of Learning
(SOL's) in the four core curricular areas: language arts, mathematics,
science, and social studies; in addition, technology standards will be
addressed in each of these core areas. The state mathematics standards
reflect those adopted in 1989 by the National Council of Teachers of
Mathematics.

Divisions across the state are beginning to realign curricula to address
these new state standards, and the State will administer preliminary
assessment tests in spring 1997. Classroom teachers are looking for help and
support to make certain that they can provide appropriate instruction and
learning opportunities to enable children of all abilities and talents to
meet the required SOL's. The Charlottesville City Schools is using this Web
site to promote the creation and sharing of materials, approaches, and
lesson plans specifically targeted to Virginia's Standards of Learning.

The SOLAR Classroom: Mathematics Project is directed by the Charlottesville
City Schools' Coordinator for Mathematics and Coordinator for Instructional
Systems Technology. Initial Web
site design was carried out in consultation with the SOLAR team
by students in ENSP481, Theory and Practice of Hypertext, an
honors seminar in English at the University of Virginia.
John Unsworth / Director, IATH / Dept. of English
http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~jmu2m/