dhcs: ai readings

From: Andrea K. Laue (akl3s@cms.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 10:51:19 EST

    Hello Folks,

    Here's a quick bibliography of articles about artificial intelligence and
    expert systems. Most of the entries have brief annotations. If you
    aren't familiar with the articles listed in ESSENTIALS it would be great
    if you could look at a few. All are or will soon be on toolkit, with the
    exception of the Dennet which is available at the URL listed below. These
    readings will prepare you both for our 4/17 meeting and for Selmer
    Bringsjord's visit. He has spilled much ink about the ESSENTIALS and will
    most likely refer to them in his talk. The second section includes a few
    articles written by Bringsjord, who will join us on April 22. If you can
    read only one of these I'd recommend "Setting the Stage."

    Please pick and choose from this list. I know several of you are quite
    well-read in these areas. I will post a few more references to the list
    closer to the date of the presentation. Maybe one of those will be
    unfamiliar.

    Just to avoid confusion, these readings are for April 17. (I'm posting
    early because I'll be out of town next week.) Bethany and I will share
    that meeting, so she will post some information on games and game design
    soon.

    best,
    Andrea

    ESSENTIALS:

    Searle, John. "Minds, Brains, and Programs." 1980.

    The (in)famous Chinese Room argument. Searle argues against "Strong AI"
    and its claims that a computer that can mimic the functionality of the
    mind _is_ a mind. Computers might be capable of syntactic processing but
    they can't understand the semantic meaning of language.

    Turing, A.M. "Computing Machinery and Intelligence." 1950.

    The famous Turing Test.

    Dennet, Daniel C. "The Practical Requirements for Making a Conscious
    Robot." 1994.
    <http://cogprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Py104/dennett.rob.html>

    Describes Cog, the robot being built by Rodney Brooks, Lynn Andrea Stein
    and others in the AI Lab at MIT
    (http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/humanoid-robotics-group/). Cog was
    designed as an "infant" that would learn through interaction with the
    world. Dennet argues that embodiment in the real world is crucial to
    consciousness.

    Wiener, Norbert. "Cybernetics in History." _The Human Use of Human
    Beings_. 1954.

    A sort of introduction to the second edition of Wiener's _Human Use_,
    originally published in 1950. Wiener claims that his book is an
    introduction to cybernetics for laypersons. He argues that human society
    is best understood through a study of its communications and that mankind
    is best understood through a study of its feedback control mechanisms.

    Crevier, Daniel. "The Tree of Knowledge." _AI_. 1993.

    An account of the early history and basic concepts of expert systems.

    BRINGSJORD <http://www.rpi.edu/~brings/select.html>

    1. Bringsjord, Selmer, Ron Noel and Clark Caporale. "Animals, Zombanimals,
    and the Total Turing Test: The Essence of Artificial Intelligence." 2000.
    <http://www.rpi.edu/~faheyj2/SB/SELPAP/ZOMBANIMALS/zombanimals2.pdf>

    2. Bringsjord, Selmer and Hong Xiao. "A Refutation of Penrose's Godelian
    Case Against Artificial Intelligence." 2000.
    <http://www.rpi.edu/~faheyj2/SB/SELPAP/PENROSE/pen.sel8.pdf>

    3. Bringsjord, Selmer and David A. Ferrucci. "Setting the Stage."
    _Artificial Intelligence and Literary Creativity." 2000. (toolkit)

    First chapter in Bringsjord's latest books. Provides the theoretical and
    historical background for his current project, BRUTUS, a system that
    generates short stories. Bringsjord argues that creativity and narrative
    are central to human intelligence.