dhcs: cocoa

From: Andrea K. Laue (akl3s@cms.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 06:35:20 EDT

    Good morning all,

    More on COCOA from Geoffrey Rockwell.

    Geoffrey writes:

    Here is something I excerpted on COCOA from a paper I wrote:

    To return to my brief history of text-analysis tools, the first generation
    of available tools were batch tools that were not
    interactive, but were designed to produce paper concordances. This can be
    seen in the names and operations of many of these
    tools. COCOA stands for Count and Concordance generation on the Atlas,
    though some of suspect it was the drink of choice of
    the programmers. The Oxford University Computing Service took over COCOA
    in 1978 and produced OCP and later Micro-OCP. The
    OCP stands for the Oxford Concordance Program. See the appendix on COCOA
    written by Robert L. Oakman in Howard-Hill, T. H.,
    Literary Concordances. Howard-Hill, T. H., Literary Concordances.
    Pergamon: Oxford, 1979.

    One of the best sources of information about TACT and encoding with COCOA
    for TACT is:

    Lancashire, Ian, et al. Using TACT with Electronic Texts. Modern Languages
    Association of America: New York, 1996.

    ---

    Thanks Geoff.

    best, Andrea