[adhoc] dollar-based accounting

From: John Unsworth <UNSWORTH_at_UIUC.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:33:50 -0500

Folks,

Time is tight and I haven't been able to connect with Harold, who is
in CA, so I've gone ahead and refigured the breakdown, using
subscription prices (in dollars) from the OUP web site for LLC. I
did not assign a value to reduced-price subs, since I didn't know
what to assign them, and there weren't very many in any case. I
assumed that rate codes *ACH* were ACH members, and rate codes *LC*
were ALLC in some form. Here's the breakdown:

ACH individual subs $5,904.00
ACH institutional subs $23,464.00
ALLC individual subs $4,437.00
ALLC institutional subs $42,213.00
Unaffiliated individuals $4,872.00
Unaffiliated institutions $17,988.00

ACH TOTAL $29,368.00
ALLC TOTAL $46,650.00
UNAFFILIATED TOTAL $22,860.00

GRAND TOTAL $98,878.00 (TOTALS added together)
Checksum $98,965.00 (All rows added together)

Affiliated Total: $76,018.00 (ALLC + ACH totals)
divided by 5 seats $15,203.60 (price per seat, in effect)

ACH Seats 1.931647768 (ACH total divided by $15K)
ALLC Seats 3.068352232 (ALLC total " " ")

In other words, it comes out to the same thing as if we count heads
rather than dollars: two seats for ACH, three for ALLC. I attach the
spreadsheet (edited, in that I have added dollar amounts for
different kinds of subscriptions) so you can check my formulas,
etc.. I note that I'm short $113 somewhere (my add-all-rows total
comes up slightly higher than my add-all-formulated-categories
total), but I haven't been able to find what's not being counted in
the category totals, and in any case it won't make a difference in
the outcome.

Any reactions to the notion that we might distribute the income
according to these totals, and use the unaffiliated total for shared
activities? As I mentioned before, in the long run that might create
a disincentive for spawning new regional chapters; on the other hand,
it is a convenient amount, I think, and if it's enough to cover costs
for LLC, the ADHO web site (which, incidentally, can accommodate ALLC
and ACH web sites too, if they would like to move there), and the e-
journal, then it would be quite simple to figure. The alternative is
that we distribute the $22K in five parts, three to ALLC and two to
ACH, and then we tax both ALLC and ACH distributions for the costs of
shared activities.

John