Re: [adhoc] vote today, please

From: Harold Short <harold.short_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:02:59 +0100

Dear All

On the motion John has put to the meeting, my vote is yes.

It could hardly be otherwise since, as John says, it very largely
represents the version of the document proposed at the December meeting
of the ALLC Committee. There are one or two changes arising from the
meeting John and I had in London, and from some ensuing email
discussion on this list. As John says, there are mechanisms for future
changes.

Indeed, in reading through the other day it struck me that we probably
need a clause to specify the basis and frequency of reviewing the
numbers of Steering Committee members from constituent organisations,
since proportions of subscriptions are likely to change, even on an
annual basis. I am content, however, for that and perhaps other
addenda to be considered in the next phase of the process.

Best wishes
Harold

On 27 Apr 2005, at 5:46, John Unsworth wrote:

> ADHO Steering Committee members:
>
> Today (April 27) is the end of the declared voting period for the
> governance protocol, in the ADHO steering committee. There has not
> been a great deal of discussion on this document, but that may be
> because the ALLC members already discussed it in December and the
> current revision represents their recommended revisions. Be that as
> it may, voting members of the steering committee are now asked to vote
> yes or no on the following proposition:
>
> The ADHO Steering Committee recommends the current state of the
> governance protocol to the executive bodies of ACH and ALLC, for
> approval as the document that will guide the future operation of ADHO
> and its steering committee.
>
> The governance protocol, as revised by ALLC and in our discussion, is
> at
>
> http://www3.isrl.uiuc.edu/~unsworth/ifdish_2.html
>
> The protocol has mechanisms to allow for future modification, so you
> need not believe that the document is perfected in order to recommend
> it to your executive body, but you should be able to affirm that, as
> it stands, the document represents a good-faith effort to establish
> rules for governance of ADHO, and you should also believe that the
> document, as it stands, is free of irremediable or fatal flaws. If
> the proposition is approved, the Executive bodies will be asked to
> review the current state of the governance protocol and certify it as
> the operational mandate for ADHO, at or before their next annual
> general meetings, in Victoria.
>
> As in our previous vote, the question will be decided by a majority of
> votes cast: I understand that this is a controversial method, but I
> remind committee members that if they vote, there will be no grounds
> for the methodological controversy.
>
> I vote in favor of the proposition.
>
> John

Harold Short, Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London, Strand, London WC2R 2LS
Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 2739 * Fax: +44 (0)20 7848 2980
Web: www.kcl.ac.uk/cch