Re: [adhoc] governance protocol

From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:23:33 -0500

On Apr 18, 2005, at 3:35 PM, Julia Flanders wrote:

> These changes, and the resulting current proposed version of the
> document, seem reasonable to me. A few thoughts in addition:
>
> 1. We say that the editor of the print journal will be a non-voting
> member of the steering committee. Is the emphasis on print here
> because the print journal is a revenue source, whereas we do not
> anticipate that the electronic journal will be? if so, that seems like
> a reasonable basis--just wanted to make sure.

I think it's because, at the point when this was first drafted, and
still, there was only one official publication (well, there's Humanist,
too, of course)--but other members of the steering committee may feel
that the revenue-creating aspect of LLC is what's important. I'm easy,
either way--we will have a standing publications committee, currently
chaired by Geoff, so the concerns of editors of other publications can
be represented. Or we could alter the language here to say that the
primary editors of any ADHO publications will be non-voting members,
and that woudl then include Marilyn, Willard, and the editor of the
e-journal, eventually.

> 2. We say that other income sources may be sought by the ADHO steering
> committee. Is it worth expanding on this point?

The general principle that governed the ALLC revisions, and which I
approve, is that less is more, and it is better to underspecify in the
bylaws than to overspecify. However, it might be useful to stipulate
something like "Applications for funding on behalf of centrally
administered ADHO activities (such as publishing or conferences) should
be submitted for the steering committee's approval a month in advance
of the final filing deadline, and silence on the part of the steering
committee shall be construed as consent."

> --do we need to specify that if other sources of income are sought for
> specific projects (e.g. funding an electronic journal) that income is
> not distributed according to the formula spelled out for income from
> the print journal, but rather is disbursed for the purpose for which
> the grant was sought?

I don't think we probably do.

John