Re: [adhoc] governance protocol

From: Julia Flanders <Julia_Flanders_at_Brown.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:35:34 -0400

These changes, and the resulting current proposed version of the
document, seem reasonable to me. A few thoughts in addition:

1. We say that the editor of the print journal will be a non-voting
member of the steering committee. Is the emphasis on print here
because the print journal is a revenue source, whereas we do not
anticipate that the electronic journal will be? if so, that seems
like a reasonable basis--just wanted to make sure.

2. We say that other income sources may be sought by the ADHO
steering committee. Is it worth expanding on this point? A few
possible other dimensions:
--if the electronic journal wanted to seek additional funding for its
activities, e.g. by a grant proposal, would this proposal need to be
routed through the steering committee (either by getting its approval
for the proposal, or by having it be the actual entity submitting the
proposal)? I can see two sides of this: on the one hand, it may be
good in some cases to be able to produce coherent funding plans and
not have individual groups haring off in uncoordinated ways. The TEI
board approves funding plans (e.g. grant proposals) by the TEI's
constituent groups for this reason. On the other hand, I would not
want the steering committee to act as a bottleneck or a check on the
resourcefulness of other groups (e.g. the electronic journal's
leadership) through any requirement that funding proposals be routed
through it. Perhaps adding some language like "...or by other ADHO
committees, with the approval of the steering committee"?

--do we need to specify that if other sources of income are sought
for specific projects (e.g. funding an electronic journal) that
income is not distributed according to the formula spelled out for
income from the print journal, but rather is disbursed for the
purpose for which the grant was sought?

Best wishes, Julia