Re: [adhoc] voting issues (new and old)

From: John Unsworth <unsworth_at_uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:54:08 -0500

On Apr 12, 2005, at 3:59 AM, László Hunyadi wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> whereas it would be desireable to have a vote on the issue you
> mentioned in the last message (i.e. the naming of the organisation),
> you will certainly agree that the two votes cast make up only 50% of
> the votes needed. Consequently, we do not have a majority of votes and
> we have to wait for at least one more vote until any further steps can
> be made.

Laszlo, and fellow voting committee members,

There is nothing in the governance protocol (current working version at
http://www3.isrl.uiuc.edu/~unsworth/ifdish_2.html) that stipulates how
steering committee votes will be conducted, so as chair, I clearly
stated the rules that would govern this vote: "a majority of votes cast
will decide the question." In any case, the ALLC members who did not
vote would have to vote against the unanimous (expressed) wishes of the
body they represent in order to change the outcome in this case, so do
we really think further delay is necessary?
Sufficient time to vote on this was also given, and most importantly,
it is a question that has been before us for more than a year, after
which long deliberation a week seems like sufficient time to make an
either/or choice.

I remind the voting members that we must move forward on certain
question--the governance protocol, the conference protocol, the program
chair for 2006, COCH-COSH membership--before the Victoria conference in
June. This is a lot of ground to cover. As chair, I am responsible
for making certain that we do move forward, and I mean to do that. I
encourage voting members to participate--indeed, I urge them to do so,
but I cannot coerce participation: however, I also cannot allow the
lack of participation to keep this committee from doing the work that
has been delegated to it by the ACH and the ALLC executives. That is
why I proposed the specific terms of this most recent vote (a majority
of votes cast).

For the reasons just stated, I think this is how we must proceed on the
other questions that need to be decided between now and June, as well.
I will allow at least a week for discussion, and and at least an
additional week for voting on each of these questions: at that rate, if
we take them one at a time, it will be a month (mid-May) before the
governance and conference protocols go to the executives (a month
late), and it will be another month (mid-June) before we have decided
the program chair and the COCH-COSH membership questions. Mid-June is
when the conference begins.

John